Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Tecra A10-12Z BIOS 1.6 wanted to upgrade to 3, but "not supported" - W7H32

1. Tecra A10-12Z BIOS 1.6 wanted to upgrade to 3, but "not supported" - W7H32
    Beginner
    There are many problems with this Tecra A10.

As Windows Xp is off, I tried Windows 7 which is too awkward, so I wanted to try different OSes from eSATA. Although i could install Lubuntu to the eSATA it didn't want to boot (no hard disk inside anymore) from eSATA, but booted from USB.

Read in the forum, and put the Windows 7 Home 32 disk inside again and downloaded the BIOS update only to get a "not supported" answer.

The A10 has a Windows Vista Business sticker beneath, is that the only OS from which this Tecra can get it's BIOS updated?

We don't have any Windows Vista disks.

Installing Windows 2000 or XP is really time consuming, same for 9x.

The latest beta demoCD with eComStation, todays OS/2Warp, works fine on this Tecra, it has Windows 3.11 integrated, will that do? Installing Windows 3.11 to an SD card should also be swift and possible. If there are drivers available?

ReactOS (freeWindowsXP) is usually capable of booting, but it's still in alpha stage!

What about plain DOS? There are liveCDs with DOS.

One can also find Vista LiveCDs socalled VistaPE CDs on the net, but their origin is unknown.

What is the best option? Is there only one option?

2. Re: Tecra A10-12Z BIOS 1.6 wanted to upgrade to 3, but "not supported" - W7H32
    Master
    Hi

>Although i could install Lubuntu to the eSATA it didn't want to boot (no hard disk inside anymore) from eSATA, but booted from USB
    I assume the BIOS does not support the booting from eSATA port but just from USB port.
    But this is just an idea... this should be checked once again within the BIOS settings.
    Maybe an BIOS update would help too.

>Read in the forum, and put the Windows 7 Home 32 disk inside again and downloaded the BIOS update only to get a "not supported" answer.

BIOS update can be executed from running Windows system only. But the BIOS update requires also some additional Toshiba software which depends on the system.

In case of Win 7 or Vista, the Toshiba value added package has to be installed. In case of the Win XP, you need to install the Common Modules package.

To be honest I donít understand what you want to doÖ
    The Tecra A10 is a great unit. Iíve got the successor called Tecra A11. I use Win 7 and its really great OS. Much better than the early Win XP

3. Re: Tecra A10-12Z BIOS 1.6 wanted to upgrade to 3, but "not supported" - W7H32
    Beginner
    Hello PauPau,

Thank you very much, installing the Toshiba Value Added Package did the thing, the BIOS update went as a dream.

I looked up the Toshiba How to page about updating the BIOS if I had overlooked a sentence or something, but I saw nothing about the Value Added Package.

With a BIOS updated to v. 3 it seemed that there were new options at startup, one of them is eSATA, also in the place were one could choose between first booting from USB or HDD, eSATA has joined the list.

Regarding what I want to do I don't know yet.
    In my early 20ies I got operated on one eye and ny sight has some small problems, with the fonts used by Windows 7

I have to magnifie the fonts to 150%, the very good screen looks like 1024x600, and often I don't see at all that something is highlighted.

Out of the box Windows XP did better and so does Lubunbtu, but of course I might change font in Windows 7 and maybe colour mixing, but my first reaction is that out of the box Windows 7 demands really good eyes.

Regarding the hardware the Tecra A10 has many nice features, but compared to older laptops from DeII and Aple the touchpad is really disappointing.

I've been using Windows XP with the Classic Windows 98 interface, so I've over 15 years with that interface and I drove it mostly with the keyboard, which is fast, at best it will take some time getting used to Windows 7.

*Thank you again, I got eSATA booting and now I know that I have a problem with the Express Port Replicator II.*