Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: CPU upgrade for Satellite L500-128

1. CPU upgrade for Satellite L500-128
    Beginner
    I have an 4-5 years old Toshiba L500-128 and I'd like to upgrade the CPU. Atm I have a Core 2 Duo T6500. I know that I can put a T9500 in it, but if possible I'd like to put even a better one. So I have a few questions:

1) Can I put a CPU with 1066 FSB speed and will it work? T6500 has 800 FSB.
    2) Can I put a CPU with 44 or 45W TDP? T6500 has 35W.
    3) If answer is yes to both previous questions, can I put a CPU with 1066 FSB and 45W?

Is possible I'd like to put something like T9900 or even a Quad Core.

Thanks in advance :)

2. Re: CPU upgrade for Satellite L500-128
    >1) Can I put a CPU with 1066 FSB speed and will it work? T6500 has 800 FSB.

In my opinion you should check the chipset compatibility and the CPU support.
    As far as I know the notebook’s motherboard supports the Mobile Intel GM45 Express Chipset

On Intel Ark page I could find the Intel mobile GM45 chipset specs and compatible products:
    http://ark.intel.com/products/35134/Intel-82GM45-Graphics-and-Memory-Controller-Hub

However, fact is that new CPU needs to be supported by the chipset and BIOS.
    If one of the parts (chipset or BIOS) would not support the new CPU, the notebook will not boot up.

Additionally you should also know that notebook manufacturers don’t support CPUs upgrade.
    What does this mean exactly?

This means that even if the chipset would support new CPU, the BIOS could be the troublemaker and would not support the upgraded CPU. From my long experience, there are no information about the BIOS support. Therefore the CPU upgrade is always an risky procedure. Maybe it will work, maybe not…

3. Re: CPU upgrade for Satellite L500-128