Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Tecra A50-A-12E - how to set new SSD to be recognized properly?

1. Tecra A50-A-12E - how to set new SSD to be recognized properly?
    Beginner
    Greetings,

I installed a new SSD in my laptop, the OS starts normally.
    I bought a caddy for the old disk. Before mounting deleted the partition and everything connected with it.

After all mounted when I boot the system is not found because this gives priority to HDD.
    There is no option in the bios that allows to define which of the drives is the original.
    Can release a BIOS to rectify this problem?

Thanks
    Henrique Morgado

2. Re: Tecra A50-A-12E - how to set new SSD to be recognized properly?
    After reading your posting I’m a bit confused. In the middle of your notebook when you remove HDD/memory cover you can find original 500GB HDD. OK you have removed it and exchanged with SSD. I presume you have installed original recovery image and everything is OK.

What I don't understand is what have you exactly done with old original HDD. Can you please explain it one more time? How do you use it with your Tecra notebook? I don't have this notebook model but it is not known to me that you can use two disc drives with it. Am I wrong about that?

3. Re: Tecra A50-A-12E - how to set new SSD to be recognized properly?
    Beginner
    Hello,

I have no problem booting from the SSD drive that replaced the original drive, my only problem is when i change the DVD for another HDD the system will not boot up.
    Not installing the original recovery image to the SSD drive, just a brand new Windows 7 ISO.
    If I want to boot a system other than what comes with the machine is not possible, it makes no sense ..., linux for example.

Thanks
    Henrique Morgado

4. Re: Tecra A50-A-12E - how to set new SSD to be recognized properly?
    Master
    > if I want to boot a system other than what comes with the machine is not possible

To boot other system then Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 you have to switch OFF the secure boot and have to switch from UEFI mode to CSM mode!

Then you could boot the Windows 7 system or Linux OS.

5. Re: Tecra A50-A-12E - how to set new SSD to be recognized properly?
    Beginner
    Hello

I already had in CSM mode and can use the SSD normally. But when I add another HDD through the door CADDY DVD ROM the computer unbootable

6. Re: Tecra A50-A-12E - how to set new SSD to be recognized properly?
    Master
    I don't know if Toshiba offers such caddy but I know that many people have bought such caddies on eBay and have reported about similar problem. I can only imagine there is some compatibility problem.

Long time ago Toshiba has offered such caddy for Portege or Tecra models but since long time such caddy is not on Toshiba accessory list. It is always problematic with such “modifications” if manufacturer doesn't support it.

7. Re: Tecra A50-A-12E - how to set new SSD to be recognized properly?
    Master
    > But when I add another HDD through the door CADDY DVD ROM the computer unbootable
    This means that such ODD to HDD caddy replacement is NOT supported by BIOS.
    What this mean? This means that such hardware configuration isn’t possible.

8. Re: Tecra A50-A-12E - how to set new SSD to be recognized properly?
    Beginner
    Greetings

I still do not this problem solved. is there any update on possible bios to fix this?

Cumps

9. Re: Tecra A50-A-12E - how to set new SSD to be recognized properly?
    Master
    > is there any update on possible bios to fix this?
    The latest BIOS which is available on Toshiba EU driver page is version 1.70-WIN(ECB1.30) and was released at 07/03/14

But i don't know if this BIOS supports such configuration.

10. Re: Tecra A50-A-12E - how to set new SSD to be recognized properly?
    Beginner
    I have the same problem

some other solution was found ??

11. Re: Tecra A50-A-12E - how to set new SSD to be recognized properly?
    Beginner
    Same issue here for R30-A

12. Re: Tecra A50-A-12E - how to set new SSD to be recognized properly?
    Master
    Can anyone of you with the “same issue” or the “same problem” post the link or some info about added HDD/SSD caddy?
    Notebook manufacturers cannot offer any guarantee that third part hardware will work properly with certain hardware platform and offer fix for this.

To be honest I’m pretty pessimistic about that.

13. Re: Tecra A50-A-12E - how to set new SSD to be recognized properly?
    Please guys don’t talk about “problem” if the ODD to HDD replacement doesn’t work.
    Most of notebooks don’t support such 2nd HDD in the ODD bay.
    Only notebooks with an additional feature called “Select-bay” would support the HDD in the ODD bay!

So this is not a problem but such configuration isn’t supported.

14. Re: Tecra A50-A-12E - how to set new SSD to be recognized properly?
    Beginner
    Teach us more in this field. After reading on here, we can learn more in this topic.