Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Format HDD, delete recovery partition then recover with disk

1. Format HDD, delete recovery partition then recover with disk
    Beginner
    Hi there,

I have a Satellite C660D-17E laptop and want to format my hard drive, delete the recovery partition and recover the preinstalled Windows 7 and other software. I don't want to keep any of my own data, that's all backed up already, I just want to be sure I can safely restore the preinstalled stuff. I have a few questions I need help to clear up before I go ahead.

Am I right in thinking the dvd recovery disks I made when I first got my laptop will have all the software and drivers I need on it, the same as the recovery partition would? If I make another spare set now just to be safe will they only have the out of the box default stuff: OS, software and drivers on and none of my data?

I found [this post|http://www.mytoshiba.com.au/support/items/faq/71] which explains the recovery process. If I select "Erase the hard disk" (so I can erase my hdd and remove the recovery partition too) what happens after that? Will it restore the OS and software from the dvd backup disk? Will the process after this recreate a recovery partition (which I don't want)?

Added sidenote:
    I actually would prefer to be able to choose which preinstalled programs get installed after I format, but I'm guessing that's probably not possible and will have to settle for installing everything and removing what I don't want after. Or is there a way?

Sorry I know that was a long post, but I want to be sure of what will happen BEFORE I go and mess things up! :) If you got this far, thanks for reading. :)

2. Re: Format HDD, delete recovery partition then recover with disk
    Master
    Hi

I will try to offer some help. ;)
    > Am I right in thinking the dvd recovery disks I made when I first got my laptop will have all the software and drivers I need on it, the same as the recovery partition would?
    Yes. Recovery image saved on recovery discs contains operating system, all necessary drivers, Toshiba specific tools and utilities and some additional software.
    > If I make another spare set now just to be safe will they only have the out of the box default stuff: OS, software and drivers on and none of my data?
    Preinstalled “Toshiba recovery creator” make recovery disc that includes recovery image only. It has nothing to do with your personal data.
    > I found this post which explains the recovery process. If I select "Erase the hard disk" (so I can erase my hdd and remove the recovery partition too) what happens after that?
    After that you must use created recovery discs for recovery image installation.
    > Will the process after this recreate a recovery partition (which I don't want)?
    When you use recovery discs for recovery image installation your notebook will have “factory settings” that include recovery image saved on HDD. To be honest I don't understand why you don't want to have this recovery image on HDD. This allows you to make recovery installation using HDD recovery option. But of course you can delete it later to get more free space on your HDD. For recovery image installation you can always use created recovery DVD discs.
    > I actually would prefer to be able to choose which preinstalled programs get installed after I format, but I'm guessing that's probably not possible and will have to settle for installing everything and removing what I don't want after
    Correct.

Check also - http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/HTD1303440001R02.htm

Good luck and if you have more questions you are welcome.

3. Re: Format HDD, delete recovery partition then recover with disk
    Beginner
    Thank you very much for your help Macius, that's cleared everything up for me. I feel happy to go ahead with the format now. :)

4. Re: Format HDD, delete recovery partition then recover with disk
    Master
    You are welcome. If you have more questions simply start new thread.

Good luck.