Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite C70-A-14M - stange issue with the touchpad

1. Satellite C70-A-14M - stange issue with the touchpad
    Beginner
    Hello,

I'm having a stange problem with the touchpad of my Toshiba Satellite C70-A-14M.
    After a few seconds of the start menu/desktop loading up, the functionality of the touchpad automatically switches from the normal free-moving cursor to only selecting the various tiles/menu bars etc. that are accessible on-screen.

The cursor freezes, but the touchpad and buttons still work, however they are only able to switch between the various objects on the screen that are capable of being selected, vastly reducing the functionality of the laptop.

I have tried the usual trick of turning my laptop off and on again, with no results.
    The laptop is about two months old, so there is no new touchpad device driver to which I can upgrade, and I am unable to un- or re-install the existing one.

I have not yet tried a system restore, as I don't want to loose the programmes that I have downloaded and go through the hassle of re-installing them unless there is no other option.

So, what should I do next? Any help and advice would be much appreciated!

2. Re: Satellite C70-A-14M - stange issue with the touchpad
    Hi

I guess you are describing the gesture feature (Modern Touch Pad)

I think you should check this document / workaround how to change some Synaptic touchpad settings.

[How to change the Synaptic touchpad settings in Windows 8?|http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/HTD3101Z30000R01.htm]

I guess there you would find the settings to enable or disable the gesture feature.

3. Re: Satellite C70-A-14M - stange issue with the touchpad
    Beginner
    Thanks for the information!

I haven't managed to fix the problem (I've also re-installed the driver now), but I have found that a simple edge swipe corrects it every time I start or unlock the laptop. I'll buy an external mouse at the weekend as a permanent back-up.

To clarify the original problem using that options menu (which I couldn't express very well because I don't know the precise terminology), it seems as if the touchpad is automatically locking itself in two-finger scroll mode on login.

However, as I can fix it easily enough on every occasion, I see no reason to investigate further. Thanks again for replying.

4. Re: Satellite C70-A-14M - stange issue with the touchpad
    > However, as I can fix it easily enough on every occasion, I see no reason to investigate further.
    Thanks for feedback…

Just one note: the newest touchpad software can be downloaded directly from Synaptics driver page: http://www.synaptics.com/resources/drivers

The software provides different features which can be enabled or disabled to modify the touchpad function.

5. Re: Satellite C70-A-14M - stange issue with the touchpad
    Beginner
    I had the same problem.It took ages to sort it but the cure is straightforward!

The C70 has a strange keyboard with the function keys activated by simultaneously holding down the Fn key. Fn5, which is used frequently to do things like refreshing, locks the cursor if the Fn key is not depressed. This key toggles between locking the cursor and freeing it!

I hope that helps someone, because it took me several hours to crack it.