Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege R700-184 freezes + fan speed very high

1. Portege R700-184 freezes + fan speed very high
    Beginner
    Hi all,

I am a happy owner of a unused R700, was bought under the conditions of being refurbished.
    But as far as I can see it hasn't been used since around 2011, and judging by the box has been stored in a warehouse and been used.

I have installed Windows 7 64bit as I need to use large amounts of RAM in programs such as Sibelius and Photoshop,

However even before I did any upgrades its been hanging about once a day and the Fan speed increases to maximum and shuts down.

The First two occasions it was just sat idle and the fan went mad and it had froze,
    I have searched everywhere and downloaded the suggested drivers for the finger print reader.

However it has started doing it when coming out of sleep and hibernate occasionally,
    I just wondered if anyone would care to shed some light on how to solve any of these issues,

I love the laptop and the style and really cant wait to get using it at University, just its a bit annoying when it freezes.

The specs are:

i5 560M
    8GB Ram
    320GB HDD

Best Wishes

Jonathan Clegg

2. Re: Portege R700-184 freezes + fan speed very high
    Master
    Hi

I found very interesting Toshiba document about intermittend hang up or freeze of machine (with possible high rotation FAN) under Windows 7 - 32 Bit / 64 Bit
    http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB0C032L0000R02.htm

It looks like this is caused by finger print software and itís strongly recommend to update your
    Toshiba Fingerprint Software and INTEL ME Firmware

Personally I donít use the fingerprint and disabled this device in device manager.

PS: in case there is an newer BIOS for this unit, try to update the BIOS as well.