Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Defective Portege R700M - BIOS & HDD password reset

1. Defective Portege R700M - BIOS & HDD password reset
    Beginner
    Hi,

My Portege R700M stopped working after I spilled tea on it. Service center had rejected it quoting 'Motherboard, damaged', The laptop was setup for BIOS password protection for HDD.

Even though the hard drive is intact, I am not able to recover the data from due to BIOS password protection. will Toshiba able to help me unlock the password.

Regards

2. Re: Defective Portege R700M - BIOS & HDD password reset
    Master
    I presume mainboard is defective and will be replaced. I presume HDD is OK so I believe your original HDD will be used again. After mainboard replacement you donít need BIOS password anymore. New mainboard will not be secured by BIOS password.

At least explain the situation and Toshiba technicians will explain to you how it works.

3. Re: Defective Portege R700M - BIOS & HDD password reset
    The Toshiba service partner would be able to remove the BIOS password but itís not possible to remove / delete the HDD password if itís unknown.
    In case the HDD password cannot be removed / deleted, the HDD would be useless.