Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite L70-A-13P - can't enter BIOS after setting BIOS password?

1. Satellite L70-A-13P - can't enter BIOS after setting BIOS password?
    Beginner
    HI, Satellite L70-A-13P

I setup a user and supervisor password. Works fine. However I can't anymore enter bios. If I press F2 as usual, i have the box "enter password" (the same as for normal boot). After typing the supervisor password, the computer continues to boot and don't enter bios!

I keep F2 key pressed but nothing works.
    I also tried Esc, F1, INS, F12, 0.

Help.

2. Re: Satellite L70-A-13P - can't enter BIOS after setting BIOS password?
    Master
    Are user and supervisor password the same?
    Have you been able to enter BIOS in the past?

Perform complete shutdown and start notebook again. Then try with F2 or F12. When you will be asked put supervisor password and I hope you will be able to enter BIOS settings.

3. Re: Satellite L70-A-13P - can't enter BIOS after setting BIOS password?
    Beginner
    Hi,

First I entered bios since it is here that I set passwords (different for user and supervisor). But I remember that after setting these passwords I also used the Toshiba password utility in Windows, whithout really understanding what it did. I removed the passwords in this utility and It removed the password at boot time.

So what does exactly this utility? Does it set the same supervisor/user passwords we enter in bios or is it a different thing?

4. Re: Satellite L70-A-13P - can't enter BIOS after setting BIOS password?
    > I also used the Toshiba password utility in Windows, whithout really understanding what it did
    Its always bad idea to do something without really knowing what you are doing exactly…

> So what does exactly this utility?
    The Toshiba password utility sets the User password and Supervisor password.
    Both passwords can be also set in BIOS.

5. Re: Satellite L70-A-13P - can't enter BIOS after setting BIOS password?
    Beginner
    thanks for the advice!

So i'm back to the starting point. What I want to do: set a password ONLY to enter BIOS or changing the boot device. It seems impossible, since I had to enter password for each boot, or I missed an option.

6. Re: Satellite L70-A-13P - can't enter BIOS after setting BIOS password?
    >What I want to do: set a password ONLY to enter BIOS or changing the boot device

The +Supervisor Password+ protects the BIOS settings and if such password has been set, you would not be able to access the BIOS without knowing the supervisor password.