Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite U940 - Battery Life decrease with Windows 8.1 update

1. Satellite U940 - Battery Life decrease with Windows 8.1 update
    Beginner
    Hi, prior to upgrading to windows 8.1 i would usually get about 4 to 5 hours of battery usage. However after updating to windows 8.1 this has significantly reduced to about 1.5 to 2 hours doing the exact same things with nothing changing . I have contacted toshiba who provided me with a replacement battery however this issue still persists. I have followed to the letter on how to update 8.1 following all instructions.

I am not really good with computers but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Re: Satellite U940 - Battery Life decrease with Windows 8.1 update
    Huh it is not easy to say what is wrong there. In front of me I have U940-103 with Win8.1.
    Three weeks ago Iíve updated original preinstalled Win8 with Win8.1 and after battery test I didnít notice any difference.
    With full battery I can watch two movies without problems so with full battery I can use my Satellite U940 up to 4 hours.

It is not easy to say if the reason for lower battery capacity Win8.1 is.
    I don't know if you want to do this but it will be interesting to know if something will change if you install original recovery image again.

3. Re: Satellite U940 - Battery Life decrease with Windows 8.1 update
    Beginner
    I know it has something to do with windows 8.1 because due to the poor battery life I decided to refresh my laptop back to windows 8 and my original battery recovered and my battery life was back to normal. So I know its not my battery which is faulty.

4. Re: Satellite U940 - Battery Life decrease with Windows 8.1 update
    How did you proceeds with Windows 8.1 upgrade?
    Did you follow the instruction recommended by Toshiba?
    http://www.toshiba.eu/innovation/generic/windows8_1-message/

The point is that after Windows 8.1 installation, all Toshiba drivers and tools should be installed in the right order.
    The wrong or missing installation of some tools may affect the notebook functionality.

From my point of view different systems should not affect the battery working time but of course the usage of different power settings or different power plan settings can decrease the battery working time especially when CPU or GPU would run with full performance.

5. Re: Satellite U940 - Battery Life decrease with Windows 8.1 update
    Beginner
    As in my first post I installed everything according to toshiba website all in correct order and when I refreshed my laptop I decided to do it again but still the battery life issue persists. Thanks anyway for replying

6. Re: Satellite U940 - Battery Life decrease with Windows 8.1 update
    Beginner
    Moreover when Im doing school work I close everything except word reduce brightness to minimum and disable my wireless driver and manager to only squeeze out 2.5 hours on power saver. So im doing everything I think possible.

7. Re: Satellite U940 - Battery Life decrease with Windows 8.1 update
    This sounds really strange to me.
    Indeed, the battery seems to be OK since you tested the notebook running Win 8 system.
    But Iíve got still one question: did you use the ECO Utility?

Probably you did not install the ECO Utility for Win 8.1.

I did not find ECO Utility for Win 8.1 on Toshiba EU driver page but found it on the Toshiba Australian Win 8.1 driver page:
    http://support.toshiba-tie.co.jp/windows81/drivers/PSU6V_Up_au.htm

It would be interesting to know if battery working time would be increased insalling and running ECO Utility.

8. Re: Satellite U940 - Battery Life decrease with Windows 8.1 update
    Beginner
    I followed the installation according to the australian page and yes I did install eco utility version 2. I guess ill just stick with windows 8 I just need the battery life for work

9. Re: Satellite U940 - Battery Life decrease with Windows 8.1 update
    Beginner
    Thanks everyone for replying. I actually decided to try it again and everything went smoothly now.

My battery at 90% now says that I have roughly 4 hours remaining however another issue has arisen in that my battery meter is now very inconsistent.

At about 30 to 40% remaining charge the laptop would suddenly go into hibernate and when I turn it back on it goes to suddenly 5%.

I have downloaded and used batterybar which says at 5% I still have about 35%.
    I have tried calibrating the battery but this did not work.

Can anyone provide any advice.
    Thanks

10. Re: Satellite U940 - Battery Life decrease with Windows 8.1 update
    > At about 30 to 40% remaining charge the laptop would suddenly go into hibernate and when I turn it back on it goes to suddenly 5%.

My advice is: replace the battery and get a new one.
    I think the whole issue discussed in this thread might be related to battery malfunction.

11. Re: Satellite U940 - Battery Life decrease with Windows 8.1 update
    Beginner
    Thanks for replying however as in my first post this issue persists with my original and replacement battery.