Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Win7 Windows key on my Satellite L500 is not readable

1. Win7 Windows key on my Satellite L500 is not readable
    Beginner
    Hello,

at first excuse my bad english, please. :)

I bought my L500-208 a few years ago, with Windows7 64bit.
    My activation-Key is on the bottom, but its not really readable completely anymore. I still got the bill included the bill of the license key (Windows7 64bit).
    How do i get my activatino-key back. Is there any way to get it?

Thank you for your helpp,

greetings
    Dave

2. Re: Win7 Windows key on my Satellite L500 is not readable
    Scholar
    Maybe it sounds stupid now but it is not important if this product key is readable or not. It is just evidence that you have bought notebook with preinstalled OS and valid licence key.

This key belongs to original preinstalled OS (recovery image) and this original recovery image must not be activated. You can install it 1000 times and it will be activated every time after clean installation.

In case that you want to install other OS version this key cannot be used for activation. Simply put, this key is useless.

3. Re: Win7 Windows key on my Satellite L500 is not readable
    Hi Dave,

You should know that the OEM key which you can find on the bottom of the unit belongs to the preinstalled Toshiba Windows system. This key cannot be used with a clean Microsoft Windows system and from my experience even if this key would be readable, it would not work for system activation.

The Toshiba system which is already preinstalled (or part of the Recovery image) is already activated. So you need to use only the Toshiba Recovery disk to reinstall the system.
    In case you want to install the system using Microsoft disk, you have to use the key supplied with this disk

4. Re: Win7 Windows key on my Satellite L500 is not readable
    Beginner
    Hey,
    thanks for your fast answer.

The thing is, my recovery image was deleted accidentely. Is there anyway to get it back? I never received a disk or something.

Greetings
    Dave

5. Re: Win7 Windows key on my Satellite L500 is not readable
    Scholar
    With new Toshiba notebook in the box there is no installations disc anymore. Since years notebook manufacturers don’t offer such discs. On Toshiba notebook you can find preinstalled “Toshiba recovery media creator” and using this tool you must create such disc . it is clearly described in user’s manuals document.
    >The thing is, my recovery image was deleted accidentely. Is there anyway to get it back?
    Something like this is not possible. If you want to have factory settings again you must install recovery image using original recovery disc that can be ordered on https://backupmedia.toshiba.eu/landing.aspx