Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Some tips to install Windows 8.1 on Satellite L650-1L4 required

1. Some tips to install Windows 8.1 on Satellite L650-1L4 required
    Beginner
    Hey there,

I just got my notebook back from support since my harddrive failed last week.

So, since I'd have to reconfigure everything anyways, I'm thinking about installing Windows 8.1, which I can get through a student program of my university.

The preparation stops at the drivers, though, since I can't find any drivers for Windows 8 and my model.

Note that my model is an L650-1L4 and was originally shipped with Windows 7.

Has somebody here maybe some experience with this?
    Are the generic drivers included in Win8 sufficient to be able to work - and play games - flawlessly?

While I could easily wipe the Win8 installation and reinstall Win7 again, I like to be prepared, and since I'm leaving this weekend for a small vacation, I'd like to have a working notebook with me.

Thanks for your help!

Message was edited by: CGundlach

2. Re: Some tips to install Windows 8.1 on Satellite L650-1L4 required
    Master
    Hmmmmm...... it can be a bit complicated. Iíve checked Toshiba download page and your notebook model is not supported for Win8. Iíve checked some other models with similar hardware configuration but they are not supported for Win8.

I really don't know what to say. If you have created recovery disc (Win7) install Win8 and check how it works. Some Toshiba specific tools and utilities you can download from other models in hope everything will work well.

Anyway I think you should stay on Win7.

3. Re: Some tips to install Windows 8.1 on Satellite L650-1L4 required
    Master
    *@ CGundlach*

Did you finally install the Windows 8.1 system or did you stay with Windows 7?
    Please post some feedback. It would be very interesting to know how the system is running on the L650 series.