Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite C660 - Constant high speed CPU fan and high usage of CPU

1. Satellite C660 - Constant high speed CPU fan and high usage of CPU
    Beginner
    I have Toshiba Satellite C660-A235. Some days ago my machine was ok suddenly, fan is constantly running fastly every time and cpu consume minimum of 50 % . If i want to run some programs that require high cpu consumption the system is turn off automatically.

I have installed latest version of BIOS and all other drivers and installed new window 7.. Plzz help me

2. Re: Satellite C660 - Constant high speed CPU fan and high usage of CPU
    Master
    Hi

I think some kind of background processes stress the CPU.
    You could check this in task manager-> processes tab
    Click on CPU column to get the processes ordered and to show all the processes which stress the CPU.

Closing or disabling such processes can help to reduce the CPU performance.

3. Re: Satellite C660 - Constant high speed CPU fan and high usage of CPU
    Beginner
    I have check task manager . System Idle process use 80-90 cpu but over all cpu is 10-13 percent use but Fan is running very fast

4. Re: Satellite C660 - Constant high speed CPU fan and high usage of CPU
    Master
    Check which processes are running and try to disable all useless stuff running in the background.
    Try also to reduce cooling fan activity changing settings for cooling method.
    This option you can find in advanced power options.

Which antivirus application do you use?

5. Re: Satellite C660 - Constant high speed CPU fan and high usage of CPU
    Hi

All the tips and recommendations by previous users are right but you should also check if dust does not affect the cooling performance.
    Since the unit is a little bit older, I guess the dust might be the reason why the fans are running often. The cooling air cannot circulate properly and this might be the reason for the higher temperature.

I recommend you to clean the cooling fans using compressed air spray. It can helps to get the notebook running more quiet