Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege R830-1EE: Supervisor / Bios password - No Boot or login prompt

1. Portege R830-1EE: Supervisor / Bios password - No Boot or login prompt
    Beginner
    Hi,

yesterday i set the bios/supervisor password.

When i now turn on the notebook, i can see the Toshiba - Leading innovations screen and then it goes dark and won't boot any further.

The harddisk / fan / graphics card etc is working - but i don't see anything nor do i get some kind of prompt or shell or whatsoever.

I tried all those "Press, ESC, Press F2, Press F1, Press INS" stuff, nothing worked out.
    I removed the battery for several mins while pressing the power button, nothing.

Maybe somebody has some kind of clue whats wrong with this maschine....

2. Re: Portege R830-1EE: Supervisor / Bios password - No Boot or login prompt
    Hi

Did you use some high ASCII character like , , , , , , , , , , , etc in your BIOS / Supervisor password?

In the past the usage of such characters prevented the notebook from booting up.
    In such case you had to contact the service partner in order to solve this problem.

3. Re: Portege R830-1EE: Supervisor / Bios password - No Boot or login prompt
    Beginner
    nope, the password is only lowerchars/numbers like supersecure123.

Its realy disappointing that i had to call the stupid toshiba service for a minor problem like this.

What do you do if you dont have a service plan for stuff like that? Every other notebook has a recovery system
    for stuff like that...toshiba ?

No support via phone, no support via forum...
    leading innovations ? lol....old, stupid non existent service leading to nothing, that should be the slogan.
    def. My last toshiba device ever.

4. Re: Portege R830-1EE: Supervisor / Bios password - No Boot or login prompt
    Beginner
    nope, the password is only lowerchars/numbers like supersecure123.
    its realy disappointing that i had to call the stupid toshiba service for a minor problem like this,
    what do you do if you dont have a service plan for stuff like that ? every dell notebook has a recovery system
    for stuff like that...toshiba ? no support via phone, no support via forum...

leading innovations ? lol....old, stupid non existent service leading to nothing, that should be the slogan.
    def. my last toshiba device ever.

5. Re: Portege R830-1EE: Supervisor / Bios password - No Boot or login prompt
    From my personal opinion this does not look like a BIOS or Supervisor related problem.

Did the issue appear straight after the straight after the password has been set?

Probably its just a bad luck and this can happen to any notebook from different manufacturer.

However, this does not change the next step: I guess to solve the notebook problem; the Toshiba ASP needs to be contacted.