Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: RAM upgrade on Satellite C660-1CL

1. RAM upgrade on Satellite C660-1CL
    Beginner
    I bought two 4GB PC3- 10600 1333MHz CL9 for my Satellite C660-1cl.I put them in and when windows trying to load laptop just shuts down.

Any suggestion?

2. Re: RAM upgrade on Satellite C660-1CL
    Master
    i presume there is compatibility problem. Many people have reported about similar issues. RAM must be upgraded with high quality and 100% compatible parts.
    According notebook specification your notebook model can be upgraded up to 8GB and compatible 4GB modules have part number PA3677U-1M4G (DDR3-1066).

3. Re: RAM upgrade on Satellite C660-1CL
    Hi

Your problem is definitely caused by new inserted RAM.
    I think using old RAMs the notebook would run properly.

Fact is the CPU Intel Pentium CPU P6200 supports 8GB RAM and DDR3 1066MHz (PC3-8500) (but no ECC) are supported.

You should test RAM modules from another manufacturer.

4. Re: RAM upgrade on Satellite C660-1CL
    Beginner
    Well,i went to the shop i bought the ram and they told me the same.But,i have another question.Can i upgrade my CPU?

5. Re: RAM upgrade on Satellite C660-1CL
    Master
    >Can i upgrade my CPU?

CPU upgrade is not officially supported by any of notebook manufacturers.
    This means that you can try to update the CPU but nobody will be able to say if your notebook would run stable after such upgrade.

First of all you should check if the notebook’s chipset would support new CPU.
    As far as I know the notebook supports the Mobile Intel HM55 Express Chipset
    http://ark.intel.com/products/43183/intel-bd82hm55-pch

On the Intel Ark page you can find the compatible products (CPUs)

Probably you could use one of the mentioned CPUs for a upgrade but note!; even if the CPU would be supported by chipset, there could still be a compatibility issue between CPU and BIOS.

6. Re: RAM upgrade on Satellite C660-1CL
    In my opinion CPU upgrade is not necessary. CPU in your machine has enough power and what you need is RAM upgrade, operating system optimization and maybe HDD upgrade. Why HDD?
    There is big difference between standard HDDs and SSDs. I have upgraded my pretty slow P500 with SSD and now it runs really fast. For instance Windows starts in 35 seconds only. With original HDD it was about 2 minutes.

So instead risky CPU upgrade you can make your notebook faster and better with “user supported” upgrades.