Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite Z930-119 hangs in hibernate with black screen - Reset?

1. Satellite Z930-119 hangs in hibernate with black screen - Reset?
    Beginner
    My Satellite laptop was working fine until I (presumably) closed the lid during the boot process.

Since then the screen is blank/black, even though I can change with the power button between "operation" including HD activity, WLAN and alternatively (long press) "hibernate" with a on/off fading operation symbol.

I tried all combinations of keys, long-press-power-button, FN-F8, FN-F5, etc. There is no output signal at the external VGA connector. I achieved no change at all.

All I would need is something like a *hardware-reset*.
    There is no easy way to remove the battery as suggested in the internet.

Do you have any suggestions or tricks like "press xy and uv.." or alike to produce a real hardware-reset to make the device start from the beginning ?

I cannot believe that a sophisticated product like the Satellite Z930 has no provisions to reboot in case of a software failure. In a few cases things like that happen in real life.

2. Re: Satellite Z930-119 hangs in hibernate with black screen - Reset?
    Master
    Hi

As far as I know you would need to remove the bottom cover just to get access to the battery.

Here is an video on Youtube:
    [Toshiba How-To: Z930 and Z935 Disassembly Instructions|http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSmEhiK3Njs]

But I would recommend trying something different.
    Did you connect the external monitor to the notebook just to check if something would be visible on the 2nd screen?
    Do that.

In case nothing would be visible on 2nd monitor you could try to remove the battery and to press and hold the power button 30sec long.
    Not quite sure if it would be helpful but in some cases this procedure might help to wakeup the unit again.

3. Re: Satellite Z930-119 hangs in hibernate with black screen - Reset?
    Beginner
    Report of progress: the Satellite was hanging in "dreaming" for hours, I could not turn it off.

Next morning after some hours with closed lid, when opened, the computer offered me the operation system select screen "Linux" or "Windows7".

Oh great, so I started Windows with the effect of more hours of hanging around.
    After some more hours I came to the same selection screen again and selected Linux /Ubuntu 12.04.
    That started new to full operation, so I could at least do some backup of files in case.

When I wanted to start the Windows partition it showed a screen about a damaged NTFS hibernate file with unclean shutdown and an option to mount with "..-o remove_hibernate.."

That I did and could at least backup the Windows partition.
    After shutdown of Linux down to power-off then Windows7 started "normally" and _so the machine came back to normal life, as good as new today._

In another part of this forum I found comments on removing / replacing Satellite batteries and subsequent loss of operation due to lost internal SW/HW configuration data.
    Even though it appears a Toshiba video in YouTube I am not eager to fool around with the battery.

Anyway - a strange experience showing the limits of great portable computers and how handy comes a little Linux option on a mobile machine.
    M.

4. Re: Satellite Z930-119 hangs in hibernate with black screen - Reset?
    Master
    >After shutdown of Linux down to power-off then Windows7 started "normally" and so the machine came back to normal life, as good as new today.

Thanks for feedback! Its good to know your notebook came back to life