Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege Z930: Loss of Fn keys after Win 8 upgrade - cannot turn WiFi on/off

1. Portege Z930: Loss of Fn keys after Win 8 upgrade - cannot turn WiFi on/off
    Beginner
    After many months biding my time I have just embarked upon upgrading my Portege Z930-11G to Windows 8 Pro.

Largely this has gone to plan with the exception that after running the Toshiba Upgrade Assistant I've lost the Fn key display and about half the keys no longer seem to function at all.

The only key I ever used routinely is the Fn+F8 option to turn WiFi on/off.

So now I cannot enable the WiFi on the machine.

There must, surely, be a mean to do this but I can't find it. Does anyone have a suggestion? I'm OK for now as I have a wired LAN in the house but once I get out on the road I'm going to struggle without WiFi.

Before running the upgrade assistant the Fn key brought the key display up across the top of the screen and I surely wish I'd turned WiFi on at that point.

The Fn key utility offers very little control of the Fn keys. It does not offer the ability to do anything other than disable five on screen notifications for keyboard backlight, power plan, touch pad, cursor overlay and numeric overlay.

All help gratefully received.

Andrew

2. Re: Portege Z930: Loss of Fn keys after Win 8 upgrade - cannot turn WiFi on/off
    Master
    > So now I cannot enable the WiFi on the machine.
    First of all you can enable and disable the WiFi using function key but you can also enable the WLan in Windows 8 settings
    Win key + C -> Settings -> Change PC settings -> Wireless

Now you can use the wireless devices slider to enable or disable the WLan.

But to get the FN key working you have to install the +Toshiba Function Key Utility+ for Win 8 and +Toshiba System Driver+ for Win 8