Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Satellite U940 - loud cooling fan

1. Satellite U940 - loud cooling fan
    Beginner
    I bought a brand new Satellite U940 two months ago.

Over the past week, the fan has started to be very loud most of the time.
    It might turn off for a minute, but in general it is loud. Also it can make a scraping noise at times.

According to my Toshiba Health Monitor, the CPU temperature is about 50%.
    I am assuming that this is high and that is why the fan is running.

However this laptop is new - so I am not sure why the fan is loud AND why the CPU temperature is high.
    I am concerned that this will cause long-term problems to a laptop that I have only had for a short period.

What can be done and how concerned should I be?

Message was edited by: c8ie

2. Re: Satellite U940 - loud cooling fan
    Master
    At first I must say that there is no reason for panic. Cooling system is optimized for certain hardware platform so hardware will be cooled down properly.

I don’t know how do you use your notebook but if you use it for everyday activities like office, internet or chat use it with balanced power plan and also change settings in certain power plan for cooling method. Set it to battery optimized option. It should reduce cooling fan activity.

3. Re: Satellite U940 - loud cooling fan
    Beginner
    I have tried that and the noise is still disruptive. Every 2 minutes, it turns on and is very loud, then it cools down, then turns on again.

I don't understand why the fan has become so loud, so suddenly. It was not like this for the first 2 months of use.

I have tried to limit my use - for example, seeing what happens if I only have one page open on the internet and nothing else, but it doesn't seem to change anything.

4. Re: Satellite U940 - loud cooling fan
    Master
    First of all you have to know that the cooling performance depends on notebook usage.
    In case the CPU and GPU are stressed a little bit more, the temperature increases and therefore the cooling fans kick on and run faster.
    This is a usual cooling procedure.

Here in the forum we cannot say exactly if the cooling module sound has changed or not.
    But I assume by saying: “loud cooling fan” you mean the fan is running often.

You could try to reduce the CPU performance and could change the cooling fan activity.
    Go to control panel -> power options
    Here choose the power plan you are using and click on “Change plan settings”
    Now click on “Change advanced power settings”.

In new window click Toshiba Power Saver Settings and choose battery optimized for Cooling Method.
    Furthermore scroll down to Processor power management and reduce the maximum processor state to 90% - 70%

Save the changes and reboot.

5. Re: Satellite U940 - loud cooling fan
    Beginner
    Hi. Just though I'd mention that I too have U940 with an inordinately loud fan. It's very quiet when the fan's not working (of course), but when it gets going it's a lot more than distracting, it's pretty much intolerable. Like yours it started off being silent all the time, and the unusual noise started after about a month. Just recently it has gotten significantly louder for no good reason, with a noise similar to what you describe as scraping.

I've found the fan generally does not operate if I turn all my settings down as the other posters have suggested. Also, turning it off when you're not using it helps, and turning off for five minutes when it is too loud really the only thing I can do if nothing else works. It's far from ideal, and I probably would have returned it for repair if I didn't really need it for work at the moment. Good luck with it.

6. Re: Satellite U940 - loud cooling fan
    Beginner
    Another unhappy owner of this model laptop.
    Exactly as previous posters have reported, the laptop was nice and quiet in the first few months of ownership.

Without changing the way I use the laptop, its fan noise has increased to a level beyond distraction, to the point of feeling like throwing it out of the window.

I have already applied the steps to reduce power consumption and fan speed but frankly such steps are simply burying one's head in the sand. It's like having a 150 mph car, reporting a vibration, and being told this is normal just don't drive above 50 mph.

For fan noise to increase for a given speed, either the bearings are wearing or it is picking up dust and becoming unbalanced.

7. Re: Satellite U940 - loud cooling fan
    *@ Paradoxx*

> It's like having a 150 mph car, reporting a vibration, and being told this is normal just don't drive above 50 mph.

From my point of few there is a hardware problem with the cooling module which would not be solved applying or changing any system settings. I guess it would be essential to check the hardware part.

8. Re: Satellite U940 - loud cooling fan
    Beginner
    If you google same problem for 920, 840, etc... just about any model, you will see threads like this.
    Toshiba has some serious problem with cooling modules, and there is no solution for it.

I have U840W - fan never spins under 50% - it's loud, and when you need to use it for something that requires you to use high performance power plan - fan spins over 90% - this is so loud that i have to leave the room not to disturb other people inside.

There is simple solution, forget the money you spent for it (in my case that was some 600 EUR) and go and buy HP, Lenovo or Sony and throw away this half product Toshiba did made. And they support is useless, you contact them here, they will advise you to lower your cpu - i mean, if i bought a laptop to work on it, why would i lower my cpu usage? How does that help me? Then i can use my old ASUS with i3 cpu that never overheats, on which fan is running all the time of same speed, and is very quiet. You call toshiba on phone, they will tell you it's normal. WTF?!? How is that normal, it's so loud i have to stream music to not hear the fan (thats why they put harman kardon inside :) ) - first and last toshiba laptop in my life. I will even replace my tv, so just that i don't have to be reminded of this terrible company any more.

Maybe one day when i will be in mood, i will do a youtube movie where i will compare my laptop with my vacuum cleaner - just so you see that even vacuum cleaner is more quiet than toshiba laptop.

Do i usually write this kind of things on forum? No, i don't. Am i mad? Yes i am. Would you be mad if you have such a laptop? I'm sure you would.

9. Re: Satellite U940 - loud cooling fan
    Beginner
    Hi all,

I have a new Toshiba U940 since a few months and now my fan is also making a irritating noise. A scratching noise. Not the noice of working to hard.

Sounds like a cheap fan?

What can i do about this?

Cheers

10. Re: Satellite U940 - loud cooling fan
    >What can i do about this?
    As I understood, your U940 is new. This means it covered by standard warranty. In case your fan malfunctions, the warranty should cover the costs of fan replacement.

11. Re: Satellite U940 - loud cooling fan
    Beginner
    The fan noise became so unbearable I decided to open up the laptop and investigate (out of warranty).

The disassembly proved to be a little fiddly, but not really too difficult, and the fan could be removed separately from the heat pipe and ducting, so no disturbing of heatsink/processor was necessary.

A few screws on the fan assembly allowed its cover to be removed. The impeller could then be removed. As there seemed to be a tiny amount of play on the sleeve type bearing, and there was no trace of lubricant, I decided a drop of oil would probably do no harm. One drop of light oil was more than enough. Surplus was wiped off with kitchen towel, and the laptop was re-assembled.

Switch on and wait for the temperature to rise and the fan kick in. Amazing result!. Hardly any more noise than the rush of air. I did this work a month ago, and fan noise has been hardly noticeable since, with no increase in noise during the month. It may not prove to be a permanent solution, but I'm quite prepared to repeat the exercise if the noise returns as long as the required frequency doesn't become too great.

12. Re: Satellite U940 - loud cooling fan
    Master
    Very interesting feedback. thanks Paradoxx

13. Re: Satellite U940 - loud cooling fan
    Beginner
    Hi Paradoxx, I have U940 with the same problem.
    I tried to open it up, but since I'm not an expert I couldn't reach the fan to clean it.
    If it is possible, can you help me with some advices or pics showing how to clean the fan?
    best regards

14. Re: Satellite U940 - loud cooling fan
    Beginner
    I tried too, but i cannot open the case.

Is there a technical manual ? or some pics

15. Re: Satellite U940 - loud cooling fan
    Beginner
    Had the same problem with the clinking fan, just decided to open it to clean up.
    I did not take any pictures but you should:
    - Obviously, remove all visible screws from underneath.
    - Remove cache for RAM+ wifi card
    - Remove screw and cache under HDD (I had to pull quite hard on the cache to clip it off) + make sure to remove screw that is under the HDD cache + remove HDD
    - remove screws from wifi card + other card
    - remove connection to keyboard + trackpad + HDD connexion I think? (red and black cables)

You should then be able to remove the upper cache with the keyboard, I just started at the top near the screen, everything just comes off. Just make sure you pull the cache towards you when near the audio jacks.
    Fan will then easily be accessible, I just cleaned it up and put in 2 drops of oil and it is very silent now.
    Good luck!

Message was edited by: raudry

16. Re: Satellite U940 - loud cooling fan
    Beginner
    This looks like a manufacturing problem mine sounds like a 747 taking off. I can not use the computer its just so bad and the system is only one and half years old.

I still have my old toshiba and it still goes fantastic the 2 I had before that I gave to my grand kids and they still have them guess I brought a lemon.

17. Re: Satellite U940 - loud cooling fan
    Quote Originally Posted by raudry View Post
    Had the same problem with the clinking fan, just decided to open it to clean up.
    I did not take any pictures but you should:
    - Obviously, remove all visible screws from underneath.
    - Remove cache for RAM+ wifi card
    - Remove screw and cache under HDD (I had to pull quite hard on the cache to clip it off) + make sure to remove screw that is under the HDD cache + remove HDD
    - remove screws from wifi card + other card
    - remove connection to keyboard + trackpad + HDD connexion I think? (red and black cables)

You should then be able to remove the upper cache with the keyboard, I just started at the top near the screen, everything just comes off. Just make sure you pull the cache towards you when near the audio jacks.
    Fan will then easily be accessible, I just cleaned it up and put in 2 drops of oil and it is very silent now.
    Good luck!

Message was edited by: raudry
    Please, could you help me and the community by posting some photos, a quick tutorial ? It's easy to remove all screws but what about connection to keyboard etc. and I haven't managed to remove the upper cache especially near the audio jacks. There is no tutorial on the web...

18. Re: Satellite U940 - loud cooling fan
    Same laptop and same problem here. I have solved it with a few drops of oil, but struggled a bit to access the fan. Here is a quick tutorial to help others out. The only thing you need is a 60mm cross-head screwdriver and a bit of oil. I don't know if you should use anything special, I personaly used bicycle chain oil, and nothing bad has happened so far.

Step 1
    First, unplug your laptop, flip it on the back and remove all visible screws on the edges.

Step2
    Remove the screw in the middle, and pull the cache to reveal the SSD, wifi card and RAM.

Step3
    Remove all the screws highlighted in red in the picture below, and pull the cache to reveal the hard drive.

Step4
    Remove all screws around the hard drive, and then remove the hard drive itself.

Step5
    Unscrew the wifi card and the SSD. I also removed the SSD itself but I am not sure you actually need to do it.

The rest follows in my next post, as the forum doesn't let me inlcude more than 5 pictures per post.

19. Re: Satellite U940 - loud cooling fan
    Step6
    Remove connections to keyboard, trackpad, and speakers.

If you don't know how to do it, look at the next picture. The connector on the left can simply be pulled out. The one in the middle and the one on the right have to be released first by pulling the black plastic part (sorry, don't know how it is called) that hold them. I have highligthed in red the parts you need to pull to release the connectors.

Step 7
    Now it's time to turn the laptop over. As said by someone before me on this thread "You should then be able to remove the upper cache with the keyboard, I just started at the top near the screen, everything just comes off. Just make sure you pull the cache towards you when near the audio jacks." You can then unscrew the fan.

Step8
    Turn the fan over, and remove the three small screws. Then remove the cache.

20. Re: Satellite U940 - loud cooling fan
    Step9
    Remove the fan and put one or two drops of oil as indicated on the picture.

That's all! Now just reassemble everything

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast