Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Tecra M11-11J - cannot install Windows 7 64bit

1. Tecra M11-11J - cannot install Windows 7 64bit
    Beginner
    Tried to upgrade a Tecra M11-11J to Windows 7 64-bit.
    The install gets as far as the 'Loading Windows Files' screen, then goes blank and freezes, with the CPU fan maxing out but no HDD activity.

Have tried reinstalling XP (works fine), reflashing the BIOS to the latest version, re-seating the RAM, changing the HDD to 'Compatibility' mode and reinstalling Win 7 - same problem.

Have tried Win 7 32-bit - same problem.
    Install from USB, instead of DVD - same problem.
    Different flavours of Win 7 - same problem!

This is extremely frustrating.
    I upgraded the memory to 8GB, hoping to take advantage of this with W7x64 and now I'm stuck with an XP machine and 4GB of RAM going to waste.

Would be very grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks.

2. Re: Tecra M11-11J - cannot install Windows 7 64bit
    and Win 7 installation does not work even using the old 4GB RAM?

Or did you try to install the Win 7 on this Tecra M11 using the new 8GB RAM?

How about the HDD? Does HDD appears on the first BIOS page?

3. Re: Tecra M11-11J - cannot install Windows 7 64bit
    If I understand you there is no problem to install WXP but Win7 installation doesn't work, right?

On this virtual way it is not easy to say what is wrong there but I think it has nothing to do with BIOS or RAM so HDD could be the “troublemaker”. Can you obtain second HDD for testing purposes and try to install Win7 on new HDD?

4. Re: Tecra M11-11J - cannot install Windows 7 64bit
    Beginner
    Tried swapping in a different HDD - same result. Our IT guys did this and have now run out of ideas!

5. Re: Tecra M11-11J - cannot install Windows 7 64bit
    Beginner
    Yes, the install was carried out with the new RAM in place, as this was the point of the upgrade - 8GB RAM and Win 7 64-bit. Will try with the original 4GB as a last resort.

6. Re: Tecra M11-11J - cannot install Windows 7 64bit
    Beginner
    OK - tried the install with the old 4GB RAM in place. Guess what? Same result. I can only assume this has to be a hardware incompatibility, but can't understand why no-one else has run into this problem - others must have upgraded M11's to Win7, surely?

7. Re: Tecra M11-11J - cannot install Windows 7 64bit
    If the IT guys don’t have an idea why this happens, I guess this will not be easy to resolve.
    Fact is that Tecra M11 was preinstalled with Win7 32BIT PROFESSIONAL system.

The CPU Intel Core i5-430M processor which is built in the notebook supports 64bit too. Therefore it should not be a problem to install, run and use the 64bit version.

I recommend you trying this:
    Go to BIOS, set it to default (F9), additionally change to AHCI mode.
    Save the changes.

No search on Intel page for Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) driver.
    Add this driver during the Win 7 installation setup (F6)

But if this would not be possible, I guess there is something wrong with your Win 7 disk

As last option could be the installation on Win 7 using USB port.
    You would need to create an bootable USB flash memory stick containing Win 7.
    Check some step by step instructions in the net…

8. Re: Tecra M11-11J - cannot install Windows 7 64bit
    Beginner
    Thanks JoeLouis

We have already tried different versions of Win 7 Professional 32-bit and 64-bit, both non-profit and commercial versions. We have tried installing from DVD and bootable USB. I think the laptop was originally purchased with Win 7, but with a WinXP downgrade option, as this was the standard OS we were using across the network at the time.

I'll try your suggestions on the RST driver and report back...

9. Re: Tecra M11-11J - cannot install Windows 7 64bit
    Beginner
    Update - tried setting the BIOS to defaults and changing to AHCI mode. Same result - the 'Loading Windows Files' screen completes. the 'Starting Windows' screen pops up for a second, then the screen goes blank and the CPU fan ramps up, but then nothing.

I can't apply the RST driver as I can't get that far. This is ridiculous! I appreciate your suggestions - I get the feeling we may have reached the end of the road with this one = so frustrating.

10. Re: Tecra M11-11J - cannot install Windows 7 64bit
    Thanks for the feedback squirrel
    I can not understand this and I’m afraid that the notebook’s hardware malfunctions.
    Have no other explanation for these installation problems…

Would recommend replacing the memory modules firstly...

11. Re: Tecra M11-11J - cannot install Windows 7 64bit
    Beginner
    Thanks JoeLouis

Yes - have already tried it with the 8GB RAM upgrade and the original 4GB memory in place, so I'm afraid that one's already covered. Looks like we'll just have to abandon the Win7 upgrade and stick to XP until it's time to replace the machine. Annoying, because despite being 3 years old this is still one of the faster laptops in the office (i5 CPU). I think you deserve some points for at least trying!

12. Re: Tecra M11-11J - cannot install Windows 7 64bit
    > Yes - have already tried it with the 8GB RAM upgrade and the original 4GB memory in place, so I'm afraid that one's already covered.

Well, I’m sure the notebook supports Win 7 and you should be able to use Win 7 system in connection with this unit therefore it would be necessary to test the unit for possible troublemakers.
    I would still recommend checking new modules in connection with new HDD.

This should not be difficult to check. In my opinion its worth a try.