Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege R200 - PXE - E61: media test failure - Insert system disk

1. Portege R200 - PXE - E61: media test failure - Insert system disk
    Beginner
    My computer Portege R200 PPR21E-00K00QEN is saying the usual toshiba stuff : ie

PXE - E61 : media test failure, check cable
    PXE - MOF exiting PXE ROM

Insert system disk in drive

Now my model doesnt have a disk drive and i bought it second hand so I haven't got any recovery disks.
    I have checked the HDD and its seems connected properly.

Would I need to buy an external disk drive and try and get a System disk or is there anything else I could try.

Any suggestions or advice?

2. Re: Portege R200 - PXE - E61: media test failure - Insert system disk
    The PXE - E61 : media test failure, check cable message appears because the notebook tried to boot from LAN.
    Why?
    Because it could not boot from HDD nor from another source like CD/DVD drive.
    Mostly this happens because of faulty HDD.

So how to fix?

I think first of all you need to replace HDD.

Since the Portege R200 does not support internal CD/DVD drive, you would need to install the system using bootable USB flash memory stick or you would need to purchase an external USB CD-ROM drive which would be compatible with Protégé R200

3. Re: Portege R200 - PXE - E61: media test failure - Insert system disk
    Master
    The main problem is internal HDD. Please obtain other HDD and check if this new HDD will be recognized properly. If yes you need external USB optical disc drive to install operating system. All necessary drivers, tools and utilities for supported operating system you can find on Toshiba download page http://www.toshiba.eu/innovation/download_drivers_bios.jsp

I really hope this issue with HDD will be solved. If new HDD will not be recognized properly the reason can be defective disc controller.

Anyway, if you need more assistance let us know.

4. Re: Portege R200 - PXE - E61: media test failure - Insert system disk
    Beginner
    thanks for replies no doubt I will be in touch

5. Re: Portege R200 - PXE - E61: media test failure - Insert system disk
    Beginner
    For what it is worth: I had the same reply from my Toshiba R700 when I switched to SSD:
    +PXE - E61 : media test failure, check cable+
    +PXE - MOF exiting PXE ROM+

+Insert system disk in drive+

This disappeared when I installed the recovery disc, with the same SSD, I my case it seems to have been a software issue - not a faulty SSD/HDD.

/Anders

6. Re: Portege R200 - PXE - E61: media test failure - Insert system disk
    > This disappeared when I installed the recovery disc, with the same SSD
    Yes this error disappeared because you installed the system and the notebook was able to boot from SSD drive.
    In case the system would not be available on SSD drive, the BIOS would switch to next possible boot device which finally would be the LAN port