Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege Z930: How to update BIOS having LINUX/UNIX OS

1. Portege Z930: How to update BIOS having LINUX/UNIX OS
    Beginner
    Hi there.

I manage an IT company, and some of our equipments are portege z930.

We use Linux as the main OS, and in order to use all HDD space, we've erased Windows partition.

How can I update BIOS from a Linux operative system? I asked in an official technichal support company, and they told me they use an special linux live CD handled by Toshiba.

I don't know if I can get this live cd somehow. If not, I'd like to know how to update our Bios without having to reinstall Windows OS.

Thanks in advance!

2. Re: Portege Z930: How to update BIOS having LINUX/UNIX OS
    Master
    As far as I know on BIOS download page Toshiba offers Windows version only. Generally speaking Linux is not supported at all.
    Try to contact nearest Toshiba service provider and ask for help. Maybe they can obtain such special CD.

By the way: why you didnít prepared machine (BIOS update) before you have started to install Linux?

3. Re: Portege Z930: How to update BIOS having LINUX/UNIX OS
    Master
    > How can I update BIOS from a Linux operative system? I asked in an official technichal support company, and they told me they use an special linux live CD handled by Toshiba.

Authorized service agents are able to update the BIOS using traditional BIOS version. this means they would update the BIOS before booting the system.
    But as far as I know this BIOS version isnít downloadable for common notebook users. You can download only the win-based BIOS version which allow you to update the BIOS while running windows system.

So you cannot update the BIOS usign Linux.
    You need to run Windows system.

Or if you donít want to install Windows system, ask an Toshiba service for BIOS updateÖ but in my opinion this isnít really an option since you would need to send the notebook to the service providerÖ