Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Re: Satellite C660-2E1 - BIOS Lock out

1. Satellite C660-2E1 - BIOS Lock out
    Beginner
    I have a C660-2E1 which has locked me out with a BIOS password, can any one help with how you reset the Bios password ?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Re: Satellite C660-2E1 - BIOS Lock out
    Master
    Unfortunately you cannot reset BIOS password and it must be removed by authorized service provider. They can help you with this.

To contact them check please http://www.toshiba.eu/innovation/generic/ASP_SUPPORT/

3. Re: Satellite C660-2E1 - BIOS Lock out
    [How do I delete a BIOS Password if I have forgotten it?|http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/FAQ35002I000IR01.htm]

+You can not remove a BIOS Password yourself, if you have forgotten it.+
    +The notebook has to be returned to a Toshiba Authorized Reseller or Toshiba Authorized Service Provider who will remove the password as a chargeable service.+

Why?
    In my opinion BIOS password is some kind of “anti theft security option”.
    It should be removed only by authorized person.

4. Re: Satellite C660-2E1 - BIOS Lock out
    Beginner
    Regarding responses/answers given;

yes it is security measure, helping to reduce theft of laptops, but when the legal title/owner is stupid enough to have forgotten 'password', returning to an 'authorised' Toshiba franchise is not the only solution, as this is cost prohibitive (simpler/cheaper to buy another laptop ).
    It is possible to reset the cmos/bios via shorting of particular jumpers, replacement of cmos/bios chip if fitted.

I simply wished to know if anyone had a simple solution to my problem.

Apparently not.
    As a moderator has judged this question answered (presumably a Toshiba employee) I shall obviously have to seek expert advice from elsewhere.

We don't all presume the manufacturer has our best interests at heart.
    Regards

5. Re: Satellite C660-2E1 - BIOS Lock out
    Master
    > but when the legal title/owner is stupid enough to have forgotten 'password', returning to an 'authorised' Toshiba franchise is not the only solution, as this is cost prohibitive (simpler/cheaper to buy another laptop ).

..and how should anybody knows that you are a legal owner?
    Everybody could claim to be owner of the unit/notebook/computer… Of course it’s always annoying to contact the service providers but I can understand very well this kind of protection and the idea behind the password delete…

by the way...
    >As a moderator has judged this question answered (presumably a Toshiba employee)
    I see your thread is marked +"unanswered"+

6. Re: Satellite C660-2E1 - BIOS Lock out
    Beginner
    I assure 'Randyroberts' it had been marked by a moderator as 'answered', otherwise why would I make the statement I did /
    Also a purchase receipt is ample proof if it were indeed required, hopefully when you go to have your car serviced you take your proof of title too.

Think really hard why there is infact a bios password function, and its purpose for society at large especially when all your files are actually on an easily removable hard drive, & a chip is ultimately easy to unsolder( or should 'Randy ' have the sale of those banned or sale by fingerprint?)

It has been an experience.

7. Re: Satellite C660-2E1 - BIOS Lock out
    As I can see you are not happy with comments here. I can understand this. Fact is that BIOS password is very important security feature and BIOS removal must be some kind of top secret information. You cannot expect that someone here in public forum (Toshiba one) explain step by step how you can remove BIOS password.

I agree with you that BIOS password only is not 100% protection but for business notebook models Toshiba offers HDD password protection.
    Anyway, Googling around you will probably find way how to remove BIOS password. If you lose the keys of your car, Mercedes or BMW will not explain to you how the car can be opened without keys, right?

8. Re: Satellite C660-2E1 - BIOS Lock out
    Beginner
    Thank you for your common sense, reasonable reply.

Pity some others did not keep their rash comments to themselves.

Those with experience & knowledge know that it is cheaper to buy a new replacement laptop rather than go to a Toshiba franchise, after all why are Toshiba in business, but to profit.

Once again thank you llay.

Time to delete this profile me thinks.
    Tschuss