Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite Z930 - Suspend problem with USB hard disk plugged in

1. Satellite Z930 - Suspend problem with USB hard disk plugged in
    Beginner
    Hello,

Owner of a newly acquired Satellite Z930-15X, I have some questions/problems :

1) Suspend to RAM and hibernation work well when there is no external USB hard disk plugged in. If there is one plugged in, the laptop immediately returns back from suspend state. Is there a solution for this?

2) Is there a way to selectively deactivate Bluetooth? Currently only activate/deactivate Plane mode is offered (with Fn-F8 or from Windows 8 charm bar). This activates/deactivates both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth I believe.

3) The laptop is wobbly on reception. I have to put some thin paper at one bottom corner (the bottom top left) in order that it can be stabilized. Apparently the problem is also mentioned in another thread. Is there a suggestion to fhix this problem?

Thank you.

2. Re: Satellite Z930 - Suspend problem with USB hard disk plugged in
    1/ Which HDD is connected to your notebook? When I use 2,5Ē external HDD with my Satellite U940 I donít have such problem.

2/ Iíve tested it on my machine and have noticed the same. When WLAN is off BT software is off too. I didnít find a way how to separately have control over WLAN device and BT.

3/ I think this problem must be clarified with Toshiba service. They should check it and maybe exchange rubbers at the bottom.

3. Re: Satellite Z930 - Suspend problem with USB hard disk plugged in
    Beginner
    Thank you for your answer.

1) I used 2"5 external hard disk on port USB 3.0. Maybe I have to try again on port USB 2.0 since USB 3.0 has probably different power specifications. With other laptop (different manufacturer) I never had such problem.

2) Yes it does not seem possible to selectively activate/deactivate BT and WLAN :-(. When you activate airplane mode, the BT icon disappears immediately.

3) I need the laptop so to avoid lengthy return back procedure I manage to put some extra piece of paper at one end. Now at least the laptop is stable!

4. Re: Satellite Z930 - Suspend problem with USB hard disk plugged in
    Beginner
    I confirm that if the 2"5 external USB hard disk is plugged in one of the two USB 2.0 port at the pack, no problem with suspend/hibernation. So the problem is somehow with USB 3.0 port. I already deactivate the charge on sleep function.

5. Re: Satellite Z930 - Suspend problem with USB hard disk plugged in
    > 2) Is there a way to selectively deactivate Bluetooth? Currently only activate/deactivate Plane mode is offered (with Fn-F8 or from Windows 8 charm bar). This activates/deactivates both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth I believe.

No, there is no option for that using key combination.
    But you can do that going to PC & devices (Win key + C -> settings -> change PC settings -> Bluetooth -> BT ON/OFF slider)

> So the problem is somehow with USB 3.0 port. I already deactivate the charge on sleep function.
    Go to device manager. Choose the USB root hub (USB 3.0 port) where the USB HDD is connected.
    Now click right, choose Properties and switch to Power Management tab
    Now here uncheck the option called: +Allow this device to wake up the computer+

6. Re: Satellite Z930 - Suspend problem with USB hard disk plugged in
    Beginner
    *@JoeLouis*

_For question 2), yes you provide me with the solution._ From this screen, Wi-fi and Bluetooth could be activated/deactivated independently.

For the suspend/hibernation problem with USB 3.0 port (remind: no problem with USB 2.0 port), your method did not work. I did deactivate the power option in USB 3.0 hub (xHCI) but the problem remains. Fortunately at wake-up the port is still at USB 3.0 speed and not at USB 2.0 speed as I encounter with other laptop.

By the way, there is also in Control Panel/Power options, advanced settings an option for "selective suspend of USB", is it related?

null

7. Re: Satellite Z930 - Suspend problem with USB hard disk plugged in
    Hi Lilas

>By the way, there is also in Control Panel/Power options, advanced settings an option for "selective suspend of USB", is it related

Not quite sure about the selective suspend of USB but I think this option isnít related since the USB 2.0 seems to be OK.

What do you think about USB 3.0 driver update?
    Take a look on Toshiba EU driver pageÖ there you will find the USB drivers for USB 3.0.

8. Re: Satellite Z930 - Suspend problem with USB hard disk plugged in
    Beginner
    Hi JoeLouis,

Thank you very much for your advice, I will search for USB 3.0 driver update (if any) and report back the result.

Edit:
    there is no USB 3.0 driver on Toshiba site, the driver is provided by Microsoft with Windows 8.
    No update available (through Windows update, the driver is dated May or March 2013).

By the way, about my question 3) about laptop being wobbly, similar to this topic:
    http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=70767&tstart=15

Today I upgrade my RAM from 4 GB to 6 GB (retiring the 2 GB and put into another 4GB). So 2GB on board (soldered) + 4GB = 6GB RAM.

By replacing the bottom cover, unscrew, re-screw, miraculously and curiously _there is no more wobbly problem!_ My laptop is now stable as a rock! (as it should be on unboxing).

Could it be the cover that is misplaced, or some screws were forced too much?

9. Re: Satellite Z930 Suspend problem with USB hard disk plugged in
    Beginner
    Wow! Success!

By experimenting with BIOS (Toshiba setup, pressing F2 repeatedly at boot time), then in Advanced menu there is an option "*USB Power in Sleep mode*" which is Disabled by default. *By setting it to Enabled* (this means Power on USB ports whille system is asleep => a little more power consumed), then my laptop can go Suspend mode even if there is an external USB 3.ŗ hard disk plugged in the USB 3.0 port. The disk LED light is still on, which is correct.

10. Re: Satellite Z930 - Suspend problem with USB hard disk plugged in
    Master
    Great! Thanks for sharing this good news with us!!!