Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Difference between Tecra A10 and Tecra M10

1. Difference between Tecra A10 and Tecra M10
    Beginner
    Dear forum
    The above says it all really.

I see the two look similar, but one is smaller. Are these two models different in other ways please.
    Ian

2. Re: Difference between Tecra A10 and Tecra M10
    Of course the both notebooks are different.
    There are different Tecra A10 models and there are different Tecra M10 units.

For example:
    Tecra *A10-13B* supports an Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 2,26 GHz CPU and Intel GM45 chipset.

Tecra *A10-1D2* supports an Intel Core 2 Duo T9600 2.80Ghz CPU and Intel GM45 chipset

You can find details about different discontinued notebook models here:
    http://www.toshiba.eu/discontinued-products/
    Then you can compare all the hardware parts.

3. Re: Difference between Tecra A10 and Tecra M10
    Beginner
    Dear forum
    Thanks for the info

Is there a basic similarity between the A!0 genre and the M10 genre -- is it basically the same laptop but smaller

Would I be able to use the recovery (XP downgrade) disk that came with the A10 to install Xp on the M10

For that matter if I had vista business installed on my a10 and backed it up to DVD, would I subsequently be able to recover that backup to a M10 (would it then work )
    Thanks you
    Ian

4. Re: Difference between Tecra A10 and Tecra M10
    > Would I be able to use the recovery (XP downgrade) disk that came with the A10 to install Xp on the M10
    No. I donít think so since the Toshiba image is different.

> For that matter if I had vista business installed on my a10 and backed it up to DVD, would I subsequently be able to recover that backup to a M10 (would it then work )

You have to understand one thing: if you create an backup image (backup image is a package containing Windows system + all drivers and software) on Tecra A10 then this image would contain the drivers. Such drivers can cause problems on another notebook with another hardware parts.
    So its NOT required to install an image from different notebook!

5. Re: Difference between Tecra A10 and Tecra M10
    Beginner
    Dear Joe
    Thanks for your kind thoughts on the matter. If the image would install to a M10 and then be bootable, then one imagines driver problems would be sort-outable afterwards.
    best wishes
    Ian

6. Re: Difference between Tecra A10 and Tecra M10
    Beginner
    Dear Joe
    Thank you for your help in this matter. Your advice is most useful. In regard to a situation whereby one acquires a tecra M10 with no OS, but has a A10 with an OS in ones possession, it would potentially be useful to be able to use the A10 image on the M10, but only if the BSOD doesnt occur.
    In this regard one I feel sure (after reading your comments) that any inappropriate drivers could be uninstalled and correct ones installed.
    Yours with thanks
    Ian

7. Re: Difference between Tecra A10 and Tecra M10
    You can simply try it. Worst thing that can happen is BSOD.
    Generally speaking both notebooks use different recovery images due to different hardware platform.

Play a bit with it and test it.
    Post some feedback about that.

8. Re: Difference between Tecra A10 and Tecra M10
    Beginner
    Dear forum
    These comments are most helpful. Especially Dr Lamp.
    I posted the query with a view to finding out in advance of the purchase. Therefore, I am contemplating my next move now. If I get to the stage of having a go I shall keep this helpful forum informed so as to share experience.

In the meantime many thanks
    Ian