Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Can I use Tecra A10 OS disk to install OS on Tecra M10?

1. Can I use Tecra A10 OS disk to install OS on Tecra M10?
    Beginner
    I possess a tecra A10 complete with Windows Vista Business installed (and backed up to an image file using Easeus Todo backup

However I also have access to a Tecra M10 which came with no operating system, although the COA sticker (product key) is likewise for a windows Vista Business.

My question is: would my Windows Vista Business back up from the A10 work on the M10 (ie would it load onto the M10 hard drive and then work properly

If anyone can advise on this matter I would be appreciative please

Best wishes
    Ian

2. Re: Can I use Tecra A10 OS disk to install OS on Tecra M10?
    At first I must say that Toshiba recovery image is created for each notebook model separately and it is 100% created to work on specific model. Why?
    Every notebook model has different hardware platform and all drivers, tools and utilities for certain model are part of recovery image. These recovery images are also tested.

Generally speaking if both models have identical hardware platform (hardware parts) it can be used.

3. Re: Can I use Tecra A10 OS disk to install OS on Tecra M10?
    Not quite sure if you could use the recovery disk from Tecra A10 on the Tecra M10.
    Both notebooks are different and use different hardware.
    Therefore the drivers which are part of the A10 image could make some troubles on the Tecra M10.

From my point of view itís not advisable to use such disk on different notebook series because of the driver compatibility issues.

4. Re: Can I use Tecra A10 OS disk to install OS on Tecra M10?
    Beginner
    Dear Joe and Terantino
    Thank you for these kind replies

I suppose if the backup was installed to the M10 and one was able to boot up the machine using this backup image, then any driver compatibility issues one would be able to sort them out afterwards by uninstalling wrong drivers and installing the right ones.
    I was just wondering really if such a backup would in fact work on an M10 or would it likely crash on boot up.

It looks to me the M10 and the A10 are very similar in appearance except for the width of the machines.

Your further comments would be most appreciated please
    Ian

5. Re: Can I use Tecra A10 OS disk to install OS on Tecra M10?
    You have to understand one thing: if you create an backup image (backup image is a package containing Windows system + all drivers and software) on Tecra A10 then this image would contain the drivers. Such drivers can cause problems on another notebook with another hardware parts.

So its NOT required to install an image from different notebook!
    Nobody can say how such drivers could affect the system functionality. In best case you would be able to uninstall such drivers but in worst case the BSOD would appear.

PS: for further discussion follow just one thread to avoid misunderstanding:
    http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums//thread.jspa?threadID=71862