Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite Pro C660 bricked by BIOS update that failed

1. Satellite Pro C660 bricked by BIOS update that failed
    Beginner
    My sister asked me to update her laptop (Toshiba Satellite Pro C660-16N; Part number PSC0ME-01S00SEN) from Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) to Windows 8 (64-bit).
    So I did.

Then I went to Toshiba's UK website to check if there were any drivers I needed to install for Windows 8. The only one was a BIOS update (to BIOS v1.70). I have no idea what the previous BIOS version number was.

So I run the update application within Windows 8. Phoenix Technologies WinPhlash starts and then halfway through the update, the whole thing freezes.

The trackpad wouldn't move the cursor or anything. I had no option but to unplug the laptop from the wall and remove the battery. The laptop is not under warranty.

Of course, now it won't turn on. It beeps once when I press the power button, but the system doesn't turn on. A couple of minutes later, it sounds one long beep then two short beeps. It then keeps repeating this "one long beep, two short beeps" sequence every couple of minutes.

I have Googled and read website after blog after forum post, but nothing works. The links to the software suggested on these websites/blogs/forums are usually dead, so I cannot try what they suggest.

The most common solution is the Phoenix Crisis Recovery Tool. I have managed to download v1.0.0.4 which is supposed to enable me to make a bootable USB key. The version of this tool that I have downloaded is meant to be for a Lenovo ThinkPad X200. I have the correct BIOS.rom for the Satellite Pro C660 (which I have renamed BIOS.wph and copied to the relevant folder).

I have followed all instructions, but it doesn't seem to work. Some sites say if this happens then I have the wrong version of phlash16.exe. Certain other websites say that HP Boot Disk USB Utility should be used, but I don't know how to use this.

What I really need is a definitive foolproof step-by-step guide of what to do, with links to the tools/files to be used for this model of laptop. I will be following this blindly (as I don't really understand what each step does, I just do it with no understanding,) so if anyone can help me with this, please write a guide as if for a complete idiot!!

If anyone can help me with this, I would appreciate it so much. I am really in a sticky situation - I can't really afford to pay a Toshiba ASP to repair it, and I certainly can't afford a new laptop. But I also couldn't bring myself to tell my sister, "It's broken, deal with it!"

Thanks in advance.

2. Re: Satellite Pro C660 bricked by BIOS update that failed
    Take a look into this thread:
    http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=59637

Maybe the last comment from user *gansell1980* could help you.
    Otherwise you need help from Toshiba authorized service provider in case to reflash the BIOS ROM module.

3. Re: Satellite Pro C660 bricked by BIOS update that failed
    Master
    Check also http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=54395&tstart=0

I really hope you will be lucky and fix this although BIOS damage must be handled by Toshiba service provider.

4. Re: Satellite Pro C660 bricked by BIOS update that failed
    Beginner
    Thanks guys for your responses. Unfortunately, I have not been able to get my laptop working yet.

I have wincris.exe v1.0.0.4 (which is apparently the correct version, as I am trying to create a USB key to flash the BIOS.)

I have many different versions of phlash16.exe, but none of them have got the laptop working. Does anyone know where I can get the correct (and latest) version of phlash16.exe for the Pro C660?

I have minidos.sys. I am not sure if there is a specific version for my laptop, or if all versions of minidos.sys are the same?

And finally, some people online mention phlash.ini and some don't. Is this required, and if so, where do I get the correct version and what do I do with it??

Thanks again everyone.

5. Re: Satellite Pro C660 bricked by BIOS update that failed
    > Does anyone know where I can get the correct (and latest) version of phlash16.exe for the Pro C660?
    The latest BIOS can be downloaded from Toshiba EU driver page.
    The package you have downloaded contains an exe file… this exe file is a package too.
    So if you would click right on the exe file you could unzip (unpack) it to an further folder

6. Re: Satellite Pro C660 bricked by BIOS update that failed
    Beginner
    *IT Works,*

_I've managed to fixed my Satellita A500._
    I have updated the bios and performed a chipset update at the same time... and it ****ed up my PC... It wont boot up... I managed this issue by following this link....

http://forum.notebookreview.com/toshiba/469337-toshiba-satellite-a350-bios-recovery-phoenix.html

Thank you, hope you have the same luck than me!!!!!!