Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite P840 - Accessin the Bios or Boot Order from Boot

1. Satellite P840 - Accessin the Bios or Boot Order from Boot
    RichardG
    Howdy all, first post here.

I have a Satellite P840, Part PSPJ6A-00h001

Windows 8.

I am having trouble accessing the Bios or the Boot Order. I need to boot from a CD/DVD and I cant get into the options of boot to change the boot order.

I have tried F12 F2 pushing repetitively on boot, holding down F12 and holding for 1 second (as per the manual) with no luck.

What am I missing....I have never not been able to get to boot options before. The only thing is it is Win8 which I am not familiar with.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Re: Satellite P840 - Accessin the Bios or Boot Order from Boot
    Master
    Perform complete shutdown http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB2B03EY0002R01.htm , restart notebook, press F12 and you will be able to enter boot menu. There you can choose which device should be first bootable device.

3. Re: Satellite P840 - Accessin the Bios or Boot Order from Boot
    RichardG
    Thanks for that.

The reason I need to boot from a CD is to clear the user password as I cant get into it.

Just to explain, I am a Pawnbroker and when we took it the staff wrote down the incorrect password, now I need to factory reinstall it for sale to get rid of all the user data and generally clean it up.

I might pull the hard drive and get into the BIOS from there.

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it.

4. Re: Satellite P840 - Accessin the Bios or Boot Order from Boot
    Hi

Usually the Win 8 notebooks are not completely powered OFF. The fast startup is enabled.
    In such case you are not able to access the BIOS.
    You have to uncheck the startup option firstly.
    This would allow to power off the unit. After that you would be able to power on and to access the BIOS pressing F2.

In BIOS settings you have to disable secure boot option as well as the UEFI mode.

> Just to explain, I am a Pawnbroker and when we took it the staff wrote down the incorrect password,

Are you talking about BIOS password?
    If BIOS password is set and you donít know this password, the only and one option to remove this is to contact the Toshiba service.
    Only an authorized service provider would be able to delete an unknown BIOS password.

5. Re: Satellite P840 - Accessin the Bios or Boot Order from Boot
    RichardG
    Hello

No not the bios password, The user password.

Normally our staff will write it down on a sticker, so if they fail to pay the loan we can get into it to clean it up and sell it. Sometimes they ( and me) get it wrong, and I boot from hirems boot CD and clear the user password.

So, it seems that I can't get into the bios unless I can get into the computer to change some settings. Which seems a bit silly if you had a computer that was failing for another reason and to needed to boot to recovery DVDs.

But, I am behind the times, I used to be in IT as an MSCE from 1998 to 2006 so I am probably still missing something. Seems silly that that there would not be a way to get into the bios despite whatever settings that are in windows that the second poster mentions.

Thanks

6. Re: Satellite P840 - Accessin the Bios or Boot Order from Boot
    Master
    You mean Windows 8 user password?
    I guess this cannot be deleted if you donít know the user or administrator password.

I such case you will need to reinstall or recover the system again.

Recovery Main Menu will start automatically when Windows is unable to start properly.

But this option could be started also clicking on the *Power button* in the _right corner_ (on the page were you are asked to put the user password.) Then *press an hold the left SHIFT key and choose Restart.*

Now you should see the Recovery Main Menu.

Here an step by step instruction:
    Windows 8 Recovery & Repair
    http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB2A03ES0000R01.htm