Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Re: Overheating and lagging issues on Satellite C660/C660D

1. Overheating and lagging issues on Satellite C660/C660D
    Beginner
    Hello Toshiba community

I'm a new Toshiba user, I have a new laptop of Toshiba as model of it's Satellite C660 / C660D, I'm using my new laptop for 6 months and I'm kind of having a lot of time on my laptop. Sometimes I keep it open for more than 10 hours.

My problem is like 3-4 months ago at the right-bottom of the screen a warning came out like "There is something wrong with your hard-disc, you should give it to any Toshiba service for the guarantee".
    But that's happened because I played on the users, I mean the users option for windows, not something about hardware, just changing the current user's name caused this and it now has weird name when I reversed the name change; it turned to something like TOSH~1 etc.

After several time, I mean like 1 month ago my computer got very slow. I was playing video games with their high resolution but now the laptop lags even I put them at low resolution.. I didn't change any hardware or touched it. But it's frustrating to see that I can't do the things that I used to do anymore.

Another thing is, I'm scared from laptop's heat. Is it normal to have 49-50 degrees? Because when I play games it's around that degree. I live in a hot city.

Some people offered me to use HD Tune to check if I have a bad sector on hdd, I did it. Didn't work either.
    I deleted some of my files to get free space on my HDD also, likely 150 gigs at total. I even wiped the empty area in my HDD via CCleaner. I often do the registery-fix with it as well. Flash games and movies does lag as well. And sometimes when I'm watching videos the sound cuts out, then I have to pause, and click on play it again to fix it but this happens in various video players, not youtube. Most likely while watching anime.

And what should I do? I don't want to go through to the service, I'm %100 sure they will make me wait for several weeks. I'm generally using my laptop with it's adapter. Oh and, in lifetime of my laptop, 2-3 times it got shut down itself while it wasnt on adapter, whenever I check, it was really but really hot.

So what should I do? I don't want to open the computer to take a look inside, I wouldn't understand, and it would risk my 2 years of guarantee.

I'm looking forward for your answers, I'll be very pleased. Thanks.

Message was edited by: Blizzart (Model added to topic)

2. Re: Overheating and lagging issues on Satellite C660/C660D
    It is not easy to say what is wrong there. Generally speaking you should think about upgrading RAM to maximum level. With more RAM notebook should have more “power” and different operations should be done much faster.

To make my notebook better and faster I’ve upgraded RAM to maximum level and also changed HDD to SSD. There is so big difference and now notebook runs as rocket. Think about RAM upgrade.
    >Another thing is, I'm scared from laptop's heat. Is it normal to have 49-50 degrees?
    From my point of view this temperature is normal and definitely not too high. When you use your notebook place it on the desk and be sure cooling fan and cooling grill are free and not blocked.

Don’t open your notebook. You cannot do anything anyway, except to cancel your valid warranty. RAM upgrade can be done by notebook owner and it will not cancel your warranty.

3. Re: Overheating and lagging issues on Satellite C660/C660D
    >Another thing is, I'm scared from laptop's heat. Is it normal to have 49-50 degrees? Because when I play games it's around that degree. I live in a hot city.

This isn’t an unusual temperature level. Its ok.
    The CPU handles the temperature up to 100 degrees

I think you should test another HDD…. It could be HDD issue.

Guess what: I would recommend you replacing the HDD with an SSD drive… SSD 250GB SATA would be great improvement.

4. Re: Overheating and lagging issues on Satellite C660/C660D
    Beginner
    @Dr.Lamp

Hi, and thanks for the reply. I just started my computer and checked if it's alright with fanspeed software, GPU and HD seems alright but core 0 and core 1 showing that they're overheating again, even though It didn't be an one minute since I started the computer. But generally in a normal using time the gpu shows that it's overheating too. Yesterday I got those results from it, while just opening one adobe flash file: http://forums.toshiba.com/tshb/attachments/tshb/brd_Satellite/19480/2/ss%20%282013-05-16%20at%2009.27.54%29.png

How do I upgrade my RAM without opening my laptop? And also, it was perfectly running out every game with high graphic settings back then like 2-3 months ago. And I still trying it in the "same games", but now even lags with their very low graphic settings. I'm just curious, if only thing I need is RAM, why the device would support all those things 2-3 ago?

I'm living in a messy place, we are also an artwork whose are messing with clay, sand and dirt. I think that would damage my fans or something?

I think SDD is another type of hard disc, but I can't afford expensive things nowadays, I'm also a student, won't be able to buy "expensive parts" till the summer.

When I put my laptop on a desk, after like 30-60 minutes the desk is getting hot as well, in 100 minutes, the laptop and desk being super hot that will even hurt the skin upon contact.

@Jacky Steward

Thank you for your answer,

http://forums.toshiba.com/tshb/attachments/tshb/brd_Satellite/19480/2/ss%20%282013-05-16%20at%2009.27.54%29.png
    It's the temperture level when I just open only a flash file.

I have checked the HDD already, and I just own one HDD, they're just seperated like 160+160, but they're in the same device, a total of 320 gb.

I still don't understand why should I need to change parts, my laptop was greatly working back then like 2-3 months ago, I could do anything I want. Was even able to play my favourite video games on their high graphic settings, now it lags even in their very low graphic settings.