Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite C850 - How to change Boot Order in BIOS?

1. Satellite C850 - How to change Boot Order in BIOS?
    Beginner
    Hi Peeps,

I have just bought a C850, and using KIS2013 produced a recovery setup on a usb pen drive. But how do I get the machine to boot from the pen, I can find no way to enter bios to change the boot order. I have been Googling all day and tried every method I could find recommended, non of which worked.

Thanks in anticipation,

Ray

2. Re: Satellite C850 - How to change Boot Order in BIOS?
    Master
    Perform complete shutdown and after you start your notebook again press F12 to enter BOOT menu.
    http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB2B03EY0002R01.htm

There you will find option to enter BIOS settings.

3. Re: Satellite C850 - How to change Boot Order in BIOS?
    Beginner
    Hi Macius, thanks very much for that.

So, as I understand it, if Fast Boot is enabled, then on boot, the F12 option is bypassed and I am unable to change the boot order. So if I ever want to boot from an ATI recovery disk / usb pen, I would have to get into settings to disable the Fast Boot first, and then reboot with F12, or am I being a tad obtuse??

Thanks again for the response.

Ray

Message was edited by: Big-Ray

4. Re: Satellite C850 - How to change Boot Order in BIOS?
    Master
    Not fast boot. Fast boot is something else. You must disable fast startup. Fast boot is other option.
    When you want to choose boot device, start recovery installation or enter BIOS settings you must perform complete shutdown. The same is when you use Win7 or Vista.

5. Re: Satellite C850 - How to change Boot Order in BIOS?
    Beginner
    Thanks for that, but, "Houston, I have a problem"

If I select the "Fast Start-Up" option( recommended ) in Power Settings, when I boot from a total shutdown the F12 key has no effect and the machine boots normally.

If I deselect the "Fast Start-Up" option in Power Settings and boot from a total shutdown, the F12 key allows me to access a screen where I can change the boot order.

So, it seems that if I want to maintain the option to recover my system with something like Acronis True Image 2013 or similar, I have to permanently disable the Fast Start-Up option, or I will not be able to tell the machine to boot from the usb drive /dvd.

or, am I still missing the point.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Ray

6. Re: Satellite C850 - How to change Boot Order in BIOS?
    >So, it seems that if I want to maintain the option to recover my system with something like Acronis True Image 2013 or similar, I have to permanently disable the Fast Start-Up option, or I will not be able to tell the machine to boot from the usb drive /dvd.

Right! You have to disable Fast Start Up if you want to boot from other sources.

7. Re: Satellite C850 - How to change Boot Order in BIOS?
    Beginner
    Thanks for that, but a bit disappointing, because I will not know I need to boot from another source until the primary method fails, by which time it is too late to get into settings and disable Fast Start, not too well thought out methinks.

Thanks again for the response.

Ray