Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Equium A210-17l BIos update to deal with advanced format HDD issue

1. Equium A210-17l BIos update to deal with advanced format HDD issue
    Beginner
    Hi All,

Really hoping someone can help me with this.

My old HDD was failing so i cloned the entire drive before it failed. - Just in time too.

I ordered a new drive - its a WD scorpio black - Advanced format.

Unfortunately I'm unable to recover my image to this new drive.

Also I'm unable to do a re-install with the original recover cd also as it doesn't have service pack 1 and that means it cant recognise the HD either.

Anyway id prefer to be able to restore my image and not do a re-install anyway if possible.

So my question is this:

Is there a bios update i can apply to my pc other than the 2.00 version which is available that will include options for changing the disk options from ide - ahci ?

This is the only fix i can think of - bearing in mind i don't have an OS installed so alignment tools are not an option also another fix; the - Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers wont work as i have an AMD athlon processor.

So is there any BIOS i can flash my computer with to enable mentioned options?

I do have a method to flash the bios with an OS so that's not a problem.

Also any other suggestions to get a work-around on this more than welcome.

The_red_pill.

2. Re: A210 - 17l BIos update to deal with advanced format HD issue.
    Beginner
    sorry its an AMD Turion processor.

3. Re: A210 - 17l BIos update to deal with advanced format HD issue.
    Beginner
    Update - i see that WD support have an alignment tool which allows me to burn it to - and boot from disk.

Ill give that a shot and see how i get on.

4. Re: A210 - 17l BIos update to deal with advanced format HD issue.
    Beginner
    BTW I'm not afraid to experiment with different bios - if that's even possible? and you can recommend one - I hereby relinquish you of all responsibility : )

- i can always flash it back to the current one i have it backed up.

--T_R_P

Message was edited by: The_red_pill

to make statement clearer.

5. Re: Equium A210-17l BIos update to deal with advanced format HDD issue
    Hi

BIOS update donít help you. From my knowledge it does not add any additional options like a switch between AHCI and compatible mode.
    Furthermore you cannot use ANY BIOS. You have to use the BIOS which is released for the notebook model. But as I said, its not solution.

Furthermore the Toshiba image already contains all the drivers in order to install the system. Itís no matter that SP1 isnít part of the image.

I guess you talk about Vista OS since the notebook was delivered with preinstalled Vista OS. http://www.toshiba.co.uk/discontinued-products/equium-a210-17i/

I would recommend you to format the HDD firstly.
    Use an tool called Gparted. You could create an bootable USB stick containing this tool.
    This helps to boot the notebook in order to format the HDD.

The install the system using the recovery disk