Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Tecra A10 - can I install 1TB hard drive?

1. Tecra A10 - can I install 1TB hard drive?
    Beginner
    Dear forum

I am thinking of putting a 1TB HDD in the laptop. Please does anyone know can this model take any 1TB laptop hard drive please
    Also can this laptop have 2 hard drives fitted please
    best wishes
    Ian

2. Re: Tecra A10 - can I install 1TB hard drive?
    Master
    Unfortunately such kind of info cannot be found on official Toshiba pages and there is no some official document about such upgrades so you can hope that someone with the same machine can post own experiences.

As far as I know this notebook model was delivered with max 250 GB HDD. Of course you can upgrade it with other HDD. I think up to 500 GB should not be problematic.
    Let’s see what other people will write about that.

One more thing: which OS do you want to install on this new HDD? Original recovery image?

3. Re: Tecra A10 - can I install 1TB hard drive?
    In my opinion 1TB HDD could be supported since the SATA controller isn’t limited to an specific HDD size.
    You have to ensure that your 2.5” HDD would support the SATA interface…

> Also can this laptop have 2 hard drives fitted please
    No, only one SATA HDD or SATA SSD drive could be used.

4. Re: Tecra A10 - can I install 1TB hard drive?
    Beginner
    Thank you to Joe and Macius for helpful comments.

I think from Joe's comments the 1tb isnt going to be a problem as regards it working on the machine.

I was checking some of the 1tb drives available are about one centimetre thick. I was wondering whether such a drive might or might not physically fit in the hard drive bay. Comments on this point would be most appreciated please.

Also I appreciate the comment about only one hard drive sata. I notice some laptops have facility in which further storage is possible by putting some caddy in the optical drive bay. (or, who knows, the pcmcia bay) Does anyone know whether this is indeed a possibility please.
    best wishes
    Ian

5. Re: Tecra A10 - can I install 1TB hard drive?
    Master
    > I was checking some of the 1tb drives available are about one centimetre thick. I was wondering whether such a drive might or might not physically fit in the hard drive bay. Comments on this point would be most appreciated please.

As far as I know the 2.5” HDD could be 12.5mm or 9.5mm thick.
    But both would fit in the HDD bay. The 9.5mm HDD are placed additional in an frame/enclosure. The 12.5mm HDD don’t require such frame.

6. Re: Tecra A10 - can I install 1TB hard drive?
    Beginner
    Dear Pau Pau
    That is most helpful because I am planning to get a 1tb hdd and was apprehensive about fitting in the enclosure etc