Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite Pro C660-1NR freezes intermittently, hard reset required

1. Satellite Pro C660-1NR freezes intermittently, hard reset required
    Beginner
    Windows 7 64 bit Satellite Pro C660-1NR Laptop

Hi There,

One of my users' Laptop Computer freezes at random moments throughout the day. At first I thought it was battery related, as the first two occurrences happened when working unplugged, but it has since done it when plugged in too. On average it happens at least once every day.

It will not resume afterwards, the only way to get past this is by holding the power button and restarting.

The problem started when uploading a number of Windows updates about 6 weeks ago. Before it has never frozen, not even once.

I will wait for it to die again (might be today, might be tomorrow!) and will look at the event log around the time that it died.

Do you think this is hardware or software related?

I have updated the laptops drivers, chipset etc, so all is as up to date as I can get it.

Nothing wrong with this laptop other than the freezes, performs fine when it's working.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Kind Regards
    Lee

Message was edited by: lhall6

2. Re: Satellite Pro C660-1NR freezes intermittently, hard reset required
    >The problem started when uploading a number of Windows updates about 6 weeks ago. Before it has never frozen, not even once.

So why you don’t try to set the system back to the point before the updates have been installed? I think this would be the first step trying to solve this issue.

>Do you think this is hardware or software related?
    If setting the system back to the early time point would not help, I guess an system recovery would be the next step to discover the reason for this issue…
    After recovery the unit should work properly… if not… well it could be hardware related issue

3. Re: Satellite Pro C660-1NR freezes intermittently, hard reset required
    Beginner
    If the above does not work, then perhaps a HDD Plate issue. Send it for repair to a Toshiba Repair Center.

4. Re: Satellite Pro C660-1NR freezes intermittently, hard reset required
    Beginner
    I bought 3 identical C660D-14W and of them 2 have started to do this same thing.
    I have not had access to fiddle with my daughters as she is away,

She reported it started after updating to AVG 2014 and mine also occurred after the same though I am aware that the AVG re-boot also set off a list of 25 windows updates and it froze for the first time on number 19.
    I have tried AVG tune up and i have done a system restore to before AVG but this has not worked.

However i have discovered that if i only use the laptop with a partly discharged battery and not with battery full and mains attached it does not happen.

I've trawled the web for this issue and it seems it is not only toshibas which suffer. {People have variously suggested the power lead is at fault (others that changing the lead did not resolve it), that it resolves if you set battery and mains power settings to the same (mine is set this way anyway but that doesn't resolve it), that the battery is at fault (others had changed their batteries), that the hardware that handles the switch from mains to battery is faulty, that a capacitor needs to be replaced or that it can be any of these.

HAs anyone any suggestion of whether there is anything else to do before buying a new cable or battery?
    (I may trial the power adaptor of my son's as his is the one that hasn't yet developped the fault...

P.S. apologies for piggy-backing your thread but i can't see how to start my own question - must be a dinosaur!

5. Re: Satellite Pro C660-1NR freezes intermittently, hard reset required
    *@BasicFortranDinosaur*
    In my opinion you can test if its hardware or software related problem.
    Use the Recovery option (HDD recovery or Recovery DVD) and set the notebook back to factory settings. If notebook would not function even if using factory image, the hardware problem would be possible.

Furthermore even if the battery would be faulty, the notebook should work with connected AC adaptor. Therefore I think that new battery would not be solution. You know…