Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite P850 - Right click on touchpad acting like a left click

1. Satellite P850 - Right click on touchpad acting like a left click
    Beginner
    My son has just purchased a Satellite P850 laptop to use for school work and gaming and has noticed a problem with the behaviour of the touchpad.

When using the touchpad, if you have one finger in the area of the touchpad used for mouse movement, and then try to click the right hand mouse button, the laptop behaves as if you clicked the left mouse button. If you click the right hand mouse button when you are not touching the mouse movement area, it behaves correctly.

We have tried changing various touchpad settings but have not been able to correct this problem. We have also updated the drivers for the touchpad to the latest version from the Synaptics website, but the problem still exists.

Is there a particular driver or setting that gives the correct behaviour of the right hand mouse button whilst still touching the touchpad with the other finger?

2. Re: Satellite P850 - Right click on touchpad acting like a left click
    > When using the touchpad, if you have one finger in the area of the touchpad used for mouse >movement, and then try to click the right hand mouse button, the laptop behaves as if you clicked >the left mouse button
    Sorry but I use touchpad too but in moment when I use one of the touchpad buttons I donít touch touchpad area at this moment. I have two Toshiba notebooks and I tried to test this on both of them but none of them react on the way described in your posting.

As far as I know such behaviour can be result of ďconfusedĒ touchpad.
    >... when you are not touching the mouse movement area, it behaves correctly.
    In my opinion it is the right way to use touchpad correctly. I donít think you can change anything using some other touchpad driver. Preinstalled driver is tested and I think the right one.

3. Re: Satellite P850 - Right click on touchpad acting like a left click
    Beginner
    Thanks for the input.

My son uses the laptop for playing Minecraft amongst other things and it makes the game do the wrong thing the way it behaves at the moment.

I visited a local PC World and tried this out on various laptops there which had integrated touchpad & buttons. Only the Toshibas seem to behave this way, the Samsungs, Acers & others I tried recognised the mouse button as the correct one.

I wasn't able to find out if the Samsungs used Synaptics touchpad, because in device manager it showed as a Samsung pointing device.

It's probably due to the Synaptics drivers.

Oh well, I'll have to wait and see if Toshiba respond.

4. Re: Satellite P850 - Right click on touchpad acting like a left click
    >When using the touchpad, if you have one finger in the area of the touchpad used for mouse movement, and then try to click the right hand mouse button, the laptop behaves as if you clicked the left mouse button. If you click the right hand mouse button when you are not touching the mouse movement area, it behaves correctly.

As Iím not mistaken this notebook supports an touchpad with additional features like +Gesture (Multi Touch)+ and +Hinge type+
    So this isnít a common touchpad which is available on another notebooks.

I guess all this touchpad features can be enabled / disabled and controlled in
    +Control panel -> mouse -> device settings tab -> settings+

5. Re: Satellite P850 - Right click on touchpad acting like a left click
    Beginner
    LeeWilkes, thank you, thank you, thank you for this OP.

I have been using a Satellite 850 (bought in Canada) for about 6 months and the touchpad right click was driving me crazy because it seemed to work randomly. I wondered if the laptop was defective and I was considering how to invoke the warranty.

Your post makes plain that to use the right click, you cannot simultaneously touch the touchpad. (AFAIK, this is not documented anywhere.) BTW, a USB mouse also solves this problem.

As for touchpad sensitivity and random cursor jumps while typing (a Windows problem, not specific to Toshiba), I have turned off all the various touch/mouse features in Control Panel and I use TouchPad Blocker. This seems to work for me.