Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite C660-1GK - HDD partition C issue

1. Satellite C660-1GK - HDD partition C issue
    Hi all!

I have Toshiba Satellite C660-1GK for about year and a half. After 6 months my hard disk drive died.

First the laptop got really slow and then started the famous clicking sound from the disk.
    I've made backup and checked the drive with Hirens tools. Toshiba diag won't even read it, S.M.A.R.T. said that his health is poor (30% or so), bad sectors started popping out.. so I've took the laptop to my ASP.

They replaced the disk and then, 13 months later (a week ago) the same story! Disk health went even lower (was at 11%) and bad sectors started jumping out like maniacs.
    Again a trip to ASP.

I've got my laptop today with a new disk. After reading posts on this forum, I'm worried that it's or motherboard/power supply problem or we're just all with bad luck with drives.

I just can't accept that disks randomly die every 4-12 months as an answer. My last disk on HP laptop lasted 4 years! I have about five more months of warranty and I'm really not happy with situation. This laptop is on my work desk, has it's own station with a nice, big fan so it's not overheating - basically I've took it out of house last September.

I'm careful with it! But if this drive dies before end of year, maybe it's time to get a new laptop.
    Not Toshiba this time :(

Please, do you have any thoughts, advices..?

2. Re: Satellite C660-1GK - HDD partition C issue

Some years ago i purchased an notebook from another manufacturer.
    My first HDD died after more than 2 years of usage. I bought another one, replaced the old HDD and the new HDD died after 4 month of usage.

Any HDD will die sooner or later because its expendable partÖ itís a matter of HDD usage and matter of how you handle the unit.

In my opinion itís a bad luckÖ of course its always pity if an HDD start to malfunction but Iím afraid there are no many options to prevent it.
    Of course you could switch to an SSD drive which is much stable in use. I did it some month agoÖ I purchased the 250GB SSD drive and replaced the internal HDD