Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Pop-up in new Satellite L855 - Windows is not genuine

1. Pop-up in new Satellite L855 - Windows is not genuine
    Beginner
    Sorry for my English.
    on February 8, 2013 I bought my Toshiba L855 laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium preinstalled.
    For about 10 days I get a pop-up that says Windows is not genuine.
    Windows is activated.

I checked the license key with the software *"Produkey"* and is different from the license key that comes in Microsoft sticker.
    How is it possible?

2. Re: Pop-up in new laptop: Windows is not genuine
    Can you please post exact notebook model name and model number?

3. Re: Pop-up in new Satellite L855-11K - Windows is not genuine
    Beginner
    Notebook Model: L855-11K
    PART NO: PSKACE-015007CE

I have Recovery of Factory Default Software and I validated windows and windows is now genuine.
    I rechecked the license key and is different from the one that comes in Microsoft sticker.
    Windows 7 Home Premium installed with the recovery license key is:

6B88K-***** - ***** - *****-W8DQG
    License key in Microsoft sticker is:

W2DMK-***** - ***** - *****-7VDWX

I fear that in a few days not jump again a popup with the message Windows is not genuine.
    Is it normal that the license keys are different?

Message was edited by: sacior

4. Re: Pop-up in new Satellite L855-11K - Windows is not genuine
    The key on the sticker is not the same key which you can find in control panel -> system
    I have no idea why this message appears but fact is that preinstalled system is already activated.

In your case I recommend using the Toshiba Recovery disk or Toshiba HDD Recovery procedure and to set the notebook back to factory settings.

Note: backup your data before doing the recovery!

5. Re: Pop-up in new Satellite L855-11K - Windows is not genuine
    There are fuller explanations out there but this gives an overview:
    If Windows is pre-installed on a computer by an original equipment manufacturer (OEM), the operating system is automatically activated without the need for interaction from the user.

(10) In this case, the copy of Windows installed does not use the product key listed on the certificate of authenticity, but rather a master product key issued to OEMs called a System Locked Pre-installation (SLP) key.

On each boot, Windows confirms the presence of specific information stored in the BIOS by the manufacturer, ensuring the activation only remains valid on that computer, even if the product key is used on another machine.
    ( [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Product_Activation] )

6. Re: Pop-up in new Satellite L855-11K - Windows is not genuine
    Beginner
    Are all windows preinstalled on the notebook with the same model name and model number is the same license key?

Each notebook has a sticker and a license key.
    Preinstalled system being activated jumped message popup with Windows is not genuine, so I had to check online whether it was original or not.

'll Contact Microsoft and you will expose the preinstalled operating system Windows 7 Home Premium with different license key printed on the sticker.

7. Re: Pop-up in new Satellite L855-11K - Windows is not genuine
    > Are all windows preinstalled on the notebook with the same model name and model number is the same license key?

Itís no matter which model it is or which model number the unit hasÖ the point is that the preinstalled systems are already activated using an System Locked Pre-installation (SLP) key. This is a common method in the notebook manufacturing.

> Each notebook has a sticker and a license key
    Yes and this means that the preinstalled system is genuine and youíve got the licence in order to use the system on this notebook. The sticker is placed on the notebook because you donít get an disks containing such sticker.
    There is a option to create an Recovery disk which contains the already activated system.