Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite Pro P300-1FP - Occasional Freezing When Playing Video

1. Satellite Pro P300-1FP - Occasional Freezing When Playing Video
    Beginner
    Hello forum,

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro P300-1FP laptop, about 4 years old.

Running Windows 7 (32 bit version).

An occasional but annoying problem: when playing video, from time to time the whole system freezes. Sound continues to come from the speakers but it's usually either a slowed down & distorted version of what I should be hearing, or a loud, repetitive buzzing/screeching noise.

System never recovers - just freezes totally, unresponsive, display frozen, mouse pointer won't move, etc. Have to reboot each time.

Does anyone know what might be causing this & how I might fix it?

Thanks,
    Alan.

2. Re: Satellite Pro P300-1FP - Occasional Freezing When Playing Video
    Master
    As far as I know SP P300 runs well with Win7 32bit. My brother has the same machine and use it with Win7 too. We have often checked performance with different games or playing different videos, mostly avi or mpeg files. YouTube videos run also very good and smoothly so I really donít understand why do you have this freezing problem.

Have you installed display driver from Toshiba download page?
    Is HDD extremely busy before this happen?

Does the same happen when you play games?

3. Re: Satellite Pro P300-1FP - Occasional Freezing When Playing Video
    Master
    Hi

The described notebook symptom can be related to software problem or hardware problem.
    Hardware problems are RAM or HDD related but I guess if RAM or HDD would be affected, the system would freezes much often and not only while playing videos.

However, it could be also an high temperature related problem.
    Watching movies the GPU runs much faster and create high heat dissipation.
    Therefore the high temperature could affect notebookís functionality.
    In such case itís recommended to clean the cooling ventilators since the dust within the cooling system might be the reason for high temp. I clean the fans from time to time using simple compressed air spray. It helps you get rid of dust.

Last but not least new system installation might help to sort out the issue in case its software related problem.

4. Re: Satellite Pro P300-1FP - Occasional Freezing When Playing Video
    Beginner
    @RandyRoberts - hi, thanks for your reply.

Don't think it's a temperature problem. The laptop does run hot sometimes - I have a little CPU temperature monitor in my taskbar to keep an eye on it, but when the laptop freezes it's not usually particularly hot at the time.

Only ever happens when watching video. It hasn't happened at all since my original posting, so it's fairly infrequent at the moment.

Also I forgot one thing, which may be relevant - I had Windows 8 running on the laptop for a while and the problem disappeared. I got rid of W8 and went back to W7 only a couple of weeks ago for a number of reasons (nice clean W7 installation), but this problem didn't happen at all under W8. Before I installed W8 I was running W7 as I am now, and the problem occurred. Suggests it's a software rather than hardware issue?

Alan.

5. Re: Satellite Pro P300-1FP - Occasional Freezing When Playing Video
    Beginner
    @Silas - hi, thanks for replying.

I have installed the latest display driver software from the Toshiba website, yes.

No, the HDD isn't particularly busy when this happens - not that I have noticed, anyway.

I don't know about games because I don't really play them on that machine (it only has on-board graphics - Intel GMA something-or-other... so most modern games would overwhelm it).

Regards,
    Alan.

6. Re: Satellite Pro P300-1FP - Occasional Freezing When Playing Video
    Master
    > Before I installed W8 I was running W7 as I am now, and the problem occurred. Suggests it's a software rather than hardware issue?

Well, in such case it might be a software problem and since this did not happen since your last original post I guess new OS installation solve this problem.

7. Re: Satellite Pro P300-1FP - Occasional Freezing When Playing Video
    Beginner
    Thanks - but no, it is still happening because I'm running W7 again.

I hated W8! :-)

8. Re: Satellite Pro P300-1FP - Occasional Freezing When Playing Video
    Master
    OhÖ but this happens occasionally. Right?
    Maybe itís a problem with an special video format?

The unit supports a Mobile Intel GL40 express chipset / graphic card
    Maybe you should try to install the driver from Intel page.