Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: NB520 - upgrade BIOS an memory RAM

1. NB520 - upgrade BIOS an memory RAM
    Beginner
    Hi,
    I have Toshiba NB520, and I want to know if it's possible to change the Ram memory by new one 4Go ??
    When I replace the 4Go memory the Computer can't restart !!
    do you know why ? I trying to upgrade the Bios without success.
    if some body can help, thank's
    Best regards
    Scopman

2. Re: NB520 - upgrade BIOS an memory RAM
    Master
    Yes it is possible. I have NB520-11. After reading many threads here Iíve made my own experiments.
    Using 4GB RAM on original preinstalled Win7 starter will not have any affect because only 2GB will be usable. Iíve installed my own Win7 32bit Home Premium and now system shows 4GB installed and around 3GB will be usable.

For upgrade Iíve used 4GB RAM from my Satellite P500. It has part number PA3677U-1M4G.

3. Re: NB520 - upgrade BIOS an memory RAM
    Beginner
    Thank's xaver,
    I haven't any more the original preinstalled win 7 starter, I using win 7 familial premium 64 bits, maybe it's the cause of issue ??
    Witch Bios version do you have on your NB520 ? , I have the 1.9 version.

4. Re: NB520 - upgrade BIOS an memory RAM
    Master
    BIOS version on my NB520 is 1.0 and it is original version I got with the machine. notebook runs well so I donít want to change anything.

5. Re: NB520 - upgrade BIOS an memory RAM
    Master
    Hi scopman

Your notebook does not boot up because the new RAM modules was either faulty or not compatible. So itís not BIOS problem but the problem is lying in the new inserted RAM

6. Re: NB520 - upgrade BIOS an memory RAM
    Beginner
    Hi Paupau,
    yes I think it's the issue....I buy normally compatible RAM memory it's, 4Gb DDR3 1333 PC3 10600 SODIMM 1.35V 204 pins....
    What do you think if I change this RAM memory 4Gb by compatible RAM 2Gb ??? my netbook can restart ?
    do you have any ideas ?
    Thank's for your reply
    Best regards
    Thierry

7. Re: NB520 - upgrade BIOS an memory RAM
    Master
    What do you want now? 4 or 2GB? You can use both but you must use compatible memory modules.

In my opinion you should not make it complicated. Compatible 2GB RAM has part number PA3669U-1M2G. It will be recognized properly and everything will be ok.

8. Re: NB520 - upgrade BIOS an memory RAM
    Beginner
    Hi xaver,
    I want if possible 4 gb, but if not I will use 2gb !! but do you think my memory RAM with ref Crucial 4GB DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) 1.35V 204 pins was not ok for my NB520 ?
    anyway, thank's for your help.
    Scopman

9. Re: NB520 - upgrade BIOS an memory RAM
    Master
    It is very important to use 100% compatible memory modules. Here I can just write about my experience so if you want to have 4GB RAM (a bit more than 3 will be used) you must install Windows 7 Home premium (all drivers are available) and use right memory modules. i already wrote which one Iíve used.

If you use compatible 2GB RAM everything will be recognized properly and you must not reinstall OS. You can continue to use Win7 Starter. In my case I didnít notice some radical difference between original 1 GB and 2 GB.