Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: USB Thumb Drive (UHYBS-064GH) format/write protect error

1. USB Thumb Drive (UHYBS-064GH) format/write protect error
    Beginner
    Hello,

Hoping for some help.

Purchased a 64B USB Thumb Drive (UHYBS-064GH), private seller, however item was brand new in packaging.

When I tried to copy files accross to it, it maxed out at about 45Gig and appears to have caused a write error. I was able to delete the majority of files, however about 5gig of them wouldn't delete (in that they would appear to have deleted, until you refreshed).

To counter this I tried to 'quick format' the drive (using Windows XP SP3), but the drive was write protected and I am unable to remove it.

Spoke to a friend who advised I should try a low level format, tried that & it appeared to work, however when I insert the usb the system advises that the drive is not formatted & would I like to format. Upon clicking Yes i recieve the 'write protected' error.

Ran the issue through the google machine & even tried to change the registy settings, however that also failed.

So I am hoping that someone out there has a potential solution for me (that doesn't include a large Hammer & some anger management)...?

2. Re: USB Thumb Drive (UHYBS-064GH) format/write protect error
    Could it be possible that this USB stick is faulty?
    In my opinion you should contact the dealer and should replace it with another one.

3. Re: USB Thumb Drive (UHYBS-064GH) format/write protect error
    Beginner
    Hi,

I have just bought the same drive, chances are it is fake.

Mine when I do write test locks up at about 3997Mb.
    Think you will find yours is the same.

There is a test here http://betdownload.com/h2testw-961-download or you can find it from other source called H2testw.

I bet you also have really low write speed say 3-4 kbs and as you say get a write error message.
    Mine came from an aussie seller who I won't name until responds to my Email in fairness to him.

4. Re: USB Thumb Drive (UHYBS-064GH) format/write protect error
    Beginner
    may be it'is a fake and couterfeited toshiba uhybs-064gh usb flash memory
    look there for more information:
    [http://www.ebay.com/gds/All-About-Fake-Flash-Drives-2013-/10000000177553258/g.html]

you will see this:
    "The Toshiba TransMemory 64GB flash drive has been heavily counterfeited for a couple of years. Many come in packages with a nonsensical counterfeiter's typo on the back - "Minimum consumer-usable memory capacity is approximately 7,7.2GB." Toshiba has confirmed that genuine packaging does not have this text."

and read all the page...