Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Recovery disks not working for Satellite L350

1. Recovery disks not working for Satellite L350
    Beginner
    I have a Toshiba Satellite L350 which I bought some years ago

Originally it was a vista home premium laptop and I opted for the Toshiba windows 7 upgrade and its been pretty much trouble free .

However recently something went a bit weird and things just were not working well (it would not always log you out and never seemed to shutdown correctly) and various other applications did not run correctly.

After a few uninstalls ,reinstalls, scans and Microsoft patches did nothing I decided to take the plunge and use the recovery disk.

I had bought one from Toshiba when I got the machine originally and had made one myself before the upgrade to windows 7 and one again after.
    I still have the windows 7 upgrade dvds so I can apply them after if I had to start back on vista again.

The only other big change has been a RAM upgrade to 4gb - I still have the original RAM if I need it but before all this there were no hardware issues reported and chkdsk was fine also.
    So to me it was the o/s that was the problem.

I have now tried all the recovery disks and they all have the same problem reporting that imagex cannot uncompress the second file image as it is corrupt at block 90 Ė I donít have this actual message to hand
    but can update later.

I canít see that Iím doing anything wrong as all i do is put the dvd in the drive and restart the laptop with F12 to boot off the recovery DVD and follow the on screen commands.
    Have you any reports of such of this previously or am I doing something stupid?

Thanks

2. Re: Recovery disks not working for Satellite L350
    Thats very strange that al recovery discs show the same error message. As far as I know when you start recovery image installation the HDD will be formatted, new partitions created, recovery image copied on second HDD partition and as last step is recovery image installation.
    >I had bought one from Toshiba when I got the machine originally and had made one myself before the upgrade to windows 7...
    Have you tested both of them in the past?

Generally speaking all you do is right. In my opinion the problem can be recovery image itself or maybe HDD has some failure on certain sectors.
    If you can obtain second HDD somewhere exchange it, set BIOS to default settings and test recovery installation again.

3. Re: Recovery disks not working for Satellite L350
    Theoretically it could be possible that your recovery disks were not created properly.
    Did you try these disks in the past or do you use the disks for the first time?

Of course an HDD issue might be possible too even if the chkdsk has been finished and no errors has been detected.
    I would also recommend to insert the old RAM module and to run recovery disk again.
    I donít think that this could affect the recovery procedure but I think you should check everything.

4. Re: Recovery disks not working for Satellite L350
    Beginner
    I have never used these disks before so you can imagine how disappointed I am that they have wiped the disk and left me with nothing especially when I made the effort to create them and they all turn out to be no good.

I'll get the exact message and update this later as there may be a hint in there that I don't understand.
    There may be disk problems but they weren't reported by chkdsk or the toshiba diagnostic tool so I'll see if I can get my hands on a disk to test.
    I'll reseat the old ram and try again to see what happens.unfortunetly I have no install disks for vista or windows 7 so I can't try one of them.

thanks

5. Re: Recovery disks not working for Satellite L350
    Beginner
    just to update. I've reseated the original ram and started with the recovery disk I purchased from toshiba.
    the system has now restored vista so I can continue on now and upgrade to windows 7.

thankfully I kept the original ram or I would have been really stuck.

thanks

6. Re: Recovery disks not working for Satellite L350
    Master
    Good news. Thanks for the feedback.