Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Satellite A30 Battery Discharging

1. Satellite A30 Battery Discharging
    Beginner
    My A30 laptop has started randamly discharging the battery whilst the mains power supply is connected. When the battery reaches 0% laptop will switch off. The front Lights show the mains power is connected. Removing the power plug and reconnecting does not solve the problem, only rebooting or hibernating starts the battery charging.

I have removed the Toshiba power management utility and the same problem occurs with Microsoft power utility. I have tried re-installing the latest Toshiba power management still no resolution.

I don't think its a loose power connector because the light shows the power is connected. Has anyone else seen this or is this a sympton of the battery needing replacing (laptop 18 months old)?

2. Re: Satellite A30 Battery Discharging
    Master
    Hi Andy,

My SA30 does exactly the same thing. The AC LED remains lit throughout as does the ON LED but the battery LED will go out. The system will show as running on battery which will progressively discharge (even though the mains LED is still on), and eventually the notebook will hibernate.

By trial and error I have found how to trigger this behaviour. I just need to apply slight pressure to the side of the DC plug in the back of the notebook and all the front LEDs will flash on for a split second and then they all extinguish except the ON and AC LEDs.

I believe that the problem is a momentary loss of contact between the inside of the DC plug and the central pin in the socket on the back of the notebook. This would explain why the problem used to occur when I moved the notebook or the mains cable.

I now anchor the DC cable to the back of the notebook in order to prevent any lateral movement of the DC plug and so far the problem has not recurred even if I pick up and move the notebook around the room.

HTH

3. Re: Satellite A30 Battery Discharging
    Beginner
    Thanks for your reply. I donít think my problem is exactly the same as yours, I canít trigger this behaviour by applying pressure to the DC plug. Further more when the problem occurs the lights donít flash, only the orange battery LED disappears.

I have removed/reinserted the DC connecter a number of times without reproducing this problem, so far it occurs randomly with no obvious reason.

4. Re: Satellite A30 Battery Discharging
    Beginner
    hi, i have exactly that problem, but i have also found i cant power on without the ac lead being in and on although it runs on battery power after starting. when running on ac power it suddenly stops goes onto battery power, and unless switch off and rebooted cannot use ac power. certainly not a loose lead. Any similarity?? did you find a solution?

5. Re: Satellite A30 Battery Discharging
    Beginner
    hey,
    i had the same problem, however my A30 was under warrant as they replaced the one of the boards in my computer and i got a new mains lead. louise

6. Re: Satellite A30 Battery Discharging
    Beginner
    Same here,
    Brand new Satellite M40.
    Mains lead is plugged, LED on.
    Battery is discharging, LED off.
    I think it is a disgrace that lots of people have the same problem, and Toshiba does or says nothing about it.
    We are supposed to keep chatting in his Forum until we get tired.

7. Re: Satellite A30 Battery Discharging
    Master
    Hi at all :)

The fact is that the battery should be removed if the unit works with mains supply because working with both (battery and mains supply) damaged the battery and the working time will be shorter. Much useful information about it you can find in the User Manual.

Nevertheless if the battery canít be charged in this case you can contact the Toshiba service partner and if the warranty still valid all replacements will be done for free.

Best regards

8. Re: Satellite A30 Battery Discharging
    Beginner
    Thanks Jaba, I appreciate your reply.
    I will of course take it back to the seller when I have the time.
    A bad battery could happen to anybody, if this is really the problem. By the number of people in this forum describing the same symptoms, I suspect it is not. It seems more a design problem to me.
    On optimizing battery life, if this is really a problem, our sophisticated computer itself should disconnect the battery when on mains. I am not going to open computer the upside down and remove the battery every time go on mains. I remember my grand father geting out of his car to crank start it from time to time, but that was 40 years ago ;).

9. Re: Satellite A30 Battery Discharging
    Beginner
    i have the same problem on my a30 i dont know why, i just swicht te pc off wait a minut or 10 and then he works fine, i have not been thinking of calling toshiba beceause i now live in an other country i dont think that the warranty is still valid this way

10. Re: Satellite A30 Battery Discharging
    Beginner
    Hi I have one of the S1955 SERIES and it has just started doing exactly as you said.....so now I have put the Toshiba warning alarm on it to monitor the situation and give me a headsup....but I also have the exact same symptons the AC power is connected but as soon as the battery has finished discharging it switches off...I think that because the BATTERY ALARM has a problem it overides the AC.....since it tells oour computers what to do if it reaches a certain setting and normally it is Switch Off or Hibernate....my connector is ok but my battery now seems to be loose it is quire new!!! Maybe Toshiba should come up with a fix for the Power Management that disregards the switch off if the computer detects an AC powering the system.....to me that sounds logical

11. Re: Satellite A30 Battery Discharging
    Beginner
    Hi all, I may have fixed my battery charging problem. Itís been ok for a week now.

I not advising anyone else to do this but it appears to have worked for me. Take a very small jewels flat blade screwdriver and carefully bend the four clips inside the centre connector of the DC power unit supply plug (obviously with the power off). At first glance the centre connector looks as if itís moulded to the plastic plug but you can get a thin blade in between the metal connectors and the plastic. Took less than 30 seconds to complete the job.

What I suspect is happening is that over a period of time the centre connector inside the laptop DC socket is wearing down and therefore the power supply plug is not making a proper connection and occasionally momentarily disconnecting the +19v rail supply.

[Edited by: admin]

12. Re: Satellite A30 Battery Discharging
    Master
    Hello Andy

I am happy that you have solved this issue but in my opinion it is bad idea to make this things alone and generally end users should not do things like that especially if the warranty is still valid.

Rather the users should bring the unit to the ASP.

13. Re: Satellite A30 Battery Discharging
    Beginner
    Hi Silas
    My warranty ran out six months ago. I assume it would be very expensive to take it to the ASP. As I have experience with electronics and power circuits I thought I would give it a try.

I am really annoyed; you have edited out my previous comment suggesting this could be fixed by a software upgrade to the "Toshiba Power Management Utility", why? If itís not true just say so. Because of your action I am now more convinced Toshiba are aware of this problem and prefer to charge their customers for repair.

Please explain why it can't be fixed by software, bearing in mind a restart re-enables the battery charging circuitry?

14. Re: Satellite A30 Battery Discharging
    Beginner
    I have similar problems with the battery on my A30-161.
    The symptoms include:
    1) Unit refusing to power up on battery power, cured by removing and re-inserting the battery. This is not a connection problem as it can re-occur even if the computer is not moved.
    2) After an hour or so of use on mains power the unit no longer recognises a battery is present, I discovered this when I had a power cut and the laptop turned off.
    3) Sometimes when powering up on mains the unit refuses to acknowledge this and continues to use the battery - can only be cured by re-booting a few times.
    4) Sometimes when the power supply is plugged in the power and battery LED on the front blink rapidly for a while, can be cured by unplugging the PSU and or the battery a few times.

Personally I think No 3 is caused by the power management utility but the rest are hardware problems, maybe the communication between the computer and the battery's charge monitoring chip???
    Anyone had similar??

15. Re: Satellite A30 Battery Discharging
    Beginner
    I have a very similar, if not identical, problem with my 1130. The greatest curiosity, to my mind, is that the system needs a full shut-down to start charging the battery again - a restart affects nothing.

16. Re: Satellite P20 Battery Discharging
    Beginner
    Hi there!

I have the same problem over here.

It's clear by now that this is a known problem by Toshiba.
    A Baboon with an umbrella could figure that one out ;)

My story has been the same, for a year or so ...until last evening!!

I decided to let the battery totally discharge itself and just see what would happen.
    Just two days ago it did that with the result that the computer shut down (and so many times before).

BUT not this time? It just went down to 0% and stayed there without anything happening. I then disconnected the AC source and plugged it in again Öand like so many times before it started to charge as soon as I plugged it in (itís been my way of dealing with this problem so far).

Before yesterday I could not run my computer only on AC power (with the battery removed) since most of the time it would just shut itself off without a warning Öwith the result of loosing my work in the process.

Now, on the other hand for about 60minutes (so far) - after reading on the forum about battery life. Iíve removed the battery and itís still running ok.

SO Ė why is it still running?
    It's never done that before!?

I have no idea if it has anything to do with this problem BUT
    Yesterday I cleaned the computer for the first time!
    I opened up the ventilation unit and took out LOADS of dust, half my cat and other things covering up the heatsinks.
    There was no way for any cool breeze, ever so gently, blowing on my heatsinks ;)

I had not realized that for almost 8months the ventilation had been running all the time!
    Now it just comes ON now and then.

Can it be that this could have anything to do with the computer struggling with ventilation since I see (as I read here on the forum) that most of us are having this problem after some time of usage?

Well!
    Thatís my short story.

Greetings,
    Ingi

17. Re: Satellite P20 Battery Discharging
    Master
    Hi

If the notebook shuts down automatically without any warnings itís mostly a overheating issue. In this case the first step is to check the cooling ventilators.
    If the dust blocks the vents the cooling system canít works properly. In this case you should try to clean the vents with the vacuum cleaner.

Bye

18. PS - it just shut itself off
    Beginner
    Well, I wasn't long in paradise :(

It just turned itself off after running only on AC for about 80minutes or so.
    If I had had the battery installed it would have jumped to it and started to discharge it.

Can it be that the AC adapter is malfunctioning - That it stops feeding power?

Well, guess I have to keep the speakers on so I hear the battery warning.

Toshiba Ė please look into this.

Greetings,
    Ingi

19. Re: PS - it just shut itself off
    Hello

It could be also a power supply electronics fault.
    Did you use an original AC adapter?
    If itís a hardware fault I donít think that you can solve it without a professional help.
    In this case you should ask the ASP for helping.

Bye

20. Re: Satellite A30 Battery Discharging
    Beginner
    Do you know where I can purchase the DC socket for my Satellite laptop 1800 series. The jack plug got kicked when on the floor and damaged inside the DC socket. I have had the laptop apart and this socket plugs into the motherboard with a small white 4 pin connector. I have not had much luck in being able to source one. Please help.

Thanx
    DOOK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast