Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Compatible SSD for Tecra A8-133

1. Compatible SSD for Tecra A8-133
    Beginner
    Hello,

I own a Tecra A8-133 (PTA83E-0E403MBT ).
    To give a kick to my aging laptop I bought a corsair neutron GTX SSD. Unfortunately, after
    many attempts, and some corsair support, it seems the SSD is not compatible with that TECRA.

I'm ready to buy a new one, but, obviously I want to be 100% sure the SSD is compatible this time.

How can I find a list of compatible devices for this laptop ?

As a SATA 1 laptop, I know the performance will be restrained, but I don't care too much.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

2. Re: Compatible SSD for Tecra A8-133
    Hi

What’s wrong exactly?

I found some specification of the mentioned SSD drive from Corsair and it looks like the SSD drive is designed to support the latest high-speed standard SATA III (6Gb/s).
    But it’s seems to be fully backward compatible with SATA II and SATA I. So it should be compatible…

From my knowledge there are no any special info regarding the SDD dive compatibility.
    In some cases the SSD drive manufacturers provides an SSD drive firmware updates and sometimes such update helps to sort out some issues.

3. Re: Compatible SSD for Tecra A8-133
    Beginner
    Hi,

Thank you for answering.

To summarize, whatever I'm trying to do to install a windows 7/64 ultimate, it ends by a :
    "Insert system disk in drive. Press any key when ready".

That said, here's what I did so far :

I installed windows 7/64 several times using a usb stick or a dvd. Starting by the "just unpacked" SSD, a partition created previously with Acronis disk 11 or the SSD secure erased with parted magic. I tried loading the latest Intel sata driver during the installation process. I cloned my old working windows XP HDD to the SSD just to be sure it wasn't a software issue.

In every case, the installation run fine until it has to restart to continue and then display the "Insert system disk in drive. Press any key when ready". I took care of the boot order, so this is not the issue. I'm running the latest bios on the laptop and most probably the last ever. I removed any sort of attached devices before the restart.

I'm very limited to play with the bios as the bios is a minimalistic 2 pages bios. AHCI or IDE mode is not featured on the bios, but I'm pretty sure it use IDE mode only. I checked on the corsair website before buying that SSD and it was clearly said the SSD can be used with both AHCI or IDE mode.

At this stage my only hope could be an SSD firmware upgrade, but it does not exist for now.

If you have an idea, you are most welcome :)

Message was edited by: Blablagum

4. Re: Compatible SSD for Tecra A8-133
    Does this mean that the SSD drive is not visible in the BIOS?
    Is it mention on the first BIOS page?

If its not mention, then the SSD drive is not recognized and this means that BIOS does not support it...
    Well, unfortunately I cannot help you with any other info about compatible SSD drive

5. Re: Compatible SSD for Tecra A8-133
    Beginner
    Yes, the bios seems to see the disk. That's probably why the first part of the install run fine.

Again, as that bios is very minimalistic there are only few infos about the disk.

DRIVE I/O : Built-in HDD = Serial ATA Port 0

And during the boot process with "Diagnostic Mode: enabled" in the bios, I can see :
    built in HDD check OK

I compared the infos with my old working HDD plugged and those with the SSD and there are
    identical.

Well anyways, sounds like a lost cause.

Thank you very much for your time ! :)

Message was edited by: Blablagum

6. Re: Compatible SSD for Tecra A8-133
    Master
    Hi

>Yes, the bios seems to see the disk. That's probably why the first part of the install run fine.
    In my opinion if the BIOS recognized the SSD drive then the hardware should be compatible.

The message: "Insert system disk in drive. Press any key when ready" refers to missing bootable device… it looks like the Windows 7 cannot be found after the installation…

You could try to install another system (probably Win XP) in order to check if the same issue would happen using different systems… I would also recommend creating new partition on this SSD drive and test again…

But finally if this would not functions, replace the SSD drive with another one…