Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite C660 - how to install Windows on new disk?

1. Satellite C660 - how to install Windows on new disk?
    Beginner
    I have a 14-month old C660 (2 months out of warranty!) and the HDD has died quite suddenly.

* 3 days ago working fine
    * 2 days ago, got stuck at 'Starting Windows'
    * Tried to fix using a System Repair boot disk (DVD) but couldn't fix problem (ran overnight)
    * Booted from DVD today, and now from command prompt, every 'dir' on c: takes 20 seconds and trying to copy files gives I/O error.

I am going to buy a new HDD and install, but is there a way to get Windows 7 back onto the disk?
    There was no Windows disk supplied with the laptop... there WAS a recovery partition but that is dead too.

I don't want to buy a new copy of Windows when I already have a licence.

(I never did a full backup incl System, as the one and only time I tried to do that it failed to complete the process, killing many blank DVD-R's in the process).
    I have most of my personal files backed up.

Thanks

2. Re: Satellite C660 - how to install Windows on new disk?
    The situation is pretty clear. You donít have created recovery disc and now you have two options only:
    1)you can order original Toshiba recovery disc and install original recovery image
    2)you can obtain original Microsoft installation disc and install own OS

In first case check please http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB0202TA0000R01.htm

If you make decision to use option 2 than please note that your product key is useless and you must pay for new licence and code activation. Product key at the Microsoft sticker belongs to recovery image only.

If you have more questions you are welcome.