Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite C660: webcam message - Device is locked by other application

1. Satellite C660: webcam message - Device is locked by other application
    Beginner
    I have a Satellite C660 series laptop. the web cam was working fine with the old driver installed..
    I work away quite a bit and use Skype to speak to my wife while stuck in a hotel room...

I logged in as normal but skype couldn't find the camera, i opened the camera manually using the side browser bar on the desktop and got an error message "Device is locked by other application" I shut all other programs down which may be using it but still got the same message.

Still couldnt get it working so looked in the task manager and process tree to see if anything was running (didnt really know what i was looking for in the processes.)

I then updated and reinstalled the driver - this is the latest version of the driver and changed the appearance of the camera home screen - still got same error message.

Tried numerous times to install driver but nothing... yet the face recognition screen comes on and uses the webcam.... so i know the camera works but it wont open manually or with skype

Please help

2. Re: Satellite C660: webcam message - Device is locked by other application
    Master
    Hi

I think you cannot use the cam in connection with the skype because the webcam is blocked by another software… I assume its face recognition.

I recommend doing this:
    Uninstall webcam software
    Uninstall face recognition
    Reboot the unit
    Install webcam software
    Install face recognition
    …and then test it with skype.

Greets

3. Re: Satellite C660: webcam message - Device is locked by other application
    Beginner
    Thanks I'll give it a whirl

4. Re: Satellite C660: webcam message - Device is locked by other application