Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Windows 8 on a Libretto W100-10d

1. Windows 8 on a Libretto W100-10d
    Beginner
    Hi everybody, I'd like what do you think about installing Window 8 on a Libretto W100 10d.

This device isn't in Toshiba compatibility list but.....even if I tried Windows 8 on another pc and I really didn't like it (it tries copying tablets in the worst way I've ever seen),

I really can't think it cannot run on a Libretto! What do you think?
    Thank you

2. Re: Windows 8 on a Libretto W100-10d
    Akuma
    Does the W100 meet the minimum specifications of Win8?
    Check the CPU and screen resolution. win8 needs at least 1024x768 pixels

If you can actually install it, I would imagine it will be difficult getting the second screen and touch surface working properly, amongst other issues.

3. Re: Windows 8 on a Libretto W100-10d
    Check this Windows 8 system requirements page:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/system-requirements

If the notebook meets this requirements, you would be able to install Win 8.

4. Re: Windows 8 on a Libretto W100-10d
    Beginner
    Hi everyone!
    Its been a long time i have been trying to install windows 8 on Toshiba W100.
    After this blog ( http://the-games-veda.blogspot.it/2012/08/running-windows-8-metro-apps-on-dual.html) i tried to install with all permutations and combinations of tweaks to make it work and it *Worked!!!!!*

These are the simple things to be done for Windows 8 PRO to work on Toshiba W100:

0. How to install Windows 8 - See the Internet, there are tons of instructions!!
    1. Do the Registry Edit - instructions in the link above.
    2. uncheck 'hide the resolutions this monitor cannot display' - This video http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6KaJWtVWJNo
    3. now you need to connect to internet and INSTALL 'Intel graphics and media accelerator' and '.net framework 3.5'
    4. Then go to graphics properties and select 1024x768 resolution for each display!!

Bam!! U are done with windows 8 on the most Innovative Gadget!!

PS: There one tiny issue, the second screen is out of the screen area,same problem you see in the link i posted above. But rest is a charm. And believe me everything works like Buttery smooth, and beats the best tablets in market!!

5. Re: Windows 8 on a Libretto W100-10d
    Beginner
    hi, is there any device not recognized/not working properly (besides 2nd screen cropped)? e.g. phisical buttons, webcam, 3G modem,...
    kind regards

6. Re: Windows 8 on a Libretto W100-10d
    Beginner
    Hi I have been using Windows 8 pro since a month now and everything works like a charm. Battery is also improved.
    I am not sure yet if 3G works because I have not tried it yet, but I am certain it will work. Fan noise is disappeared!!

I have made 2 partitions and using both windows 7 and windows 8.
    Hoping everyone to enjoy the windows 8 on Toshiba w100.

Hope this helps.

7. Re: Windows 8 on a Libretto W100-10d
    Beginner
    Hi,

I managed to install windows8 metro on the top display without the black bars on the side but in full screen (with pictures mildly crushed).
    I could not install it on the second display.
    It works fine: wireless, 3G HSDPA, apps metro, internet, mouse.

Does not work: Libretto software (keyboard, window managers) bulletin board.
    RAM use about 30% (about 55% with 7) Fan almost always quiet.

Highly recommended

Message was edited by: massimod1d1

8. Re: Windows 8 on a Libretto W100-10d
    Beginner
    sorry but it isn't working with mine, could you kindly tell me which version of graphic card driver are you using?
    tested both with W8_x86/x64 and different driver versions..

9. Re: Windows 8 on a Libretto W100-10d
    Beginner
    *solved!*
    but here's my little experience.. i'm not so satisfied because of less precision of screens and cropped active areas

think i'll go back to W7

10. Re: Windows 8 on a Libretto W100-10d
    Beginner
    Hi Saumin

May I ask what are the sizes of the two partitions on your SSD ? And which partition for Win-7 and which for Win-8 ?

Also, just wondering are you still using Win-8 these days ?

Do you still have to use Win-7 occasionally (since you have made your W100 dual boot) ?

Many thanks in advance.

Message was edited by: alphaomega