Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite C660-2EF - error on startup what is PXE-E61 media test failure

1. Satellite C660-2EF - error on startup what is PXE-E61 media test failure
    Beginner
    hi there im wondering if anyone can help with this issue, coming from old school computing where it was a pain the backside to sort things out but you sort of knew where you were, i no longer know where i am!
    by this i mean why the hell do modern machines/manufacturers make it harder to sort out problems!!!???

I HAVE UPLOADED SOME IMAGES ONTO MY WEBSITE (to use the space!) the address is my own and there is no dodgy content or threats on there so feel free to have a look to see if you can help!

my 10 month old toshiba satellite c660-2ef has decided to un recognise the HDD by itself and after checking the fixings cables and a good visual check , i have gone as far as buying a new SSD to replace the old drive as its died, this didnt work either.

http://www.ukamateurpokerplayers.com/laptop1.JPG

according to other forums my bios may be corrupted but i cannot find a fix as i cannot flash it to phoenix v2.0 in dos as it is

http://www.ukamateurpokerplayers.com/laptop2.JPG

i have tried to put the laptop into crisis mode by depressing fn and B buttons on start up and reflash the bios but this is to no avail as i cannot find a correct or an easy procedure to get phlash16.exe working from a bootable USB drive and flash it via that method as it is currently the only one open to me

not that im familiar with using phlash16 but it just gives me a himem error message ??? lost here even if its the right version for my c660-2ef

http://www.ukamateurpokerplayers.com/laptop3.JPG

dear toshiba this is a silly way to package a laptop, no discs or recovery and i am without a manufacturers copy of windows 7 for my laptop, if you ask me its quite half baked by design and very troublesome.

to the good people of this forum can please swiftly leave any responses that may help as im sighing myself to death here!!!!

hopefully i can get this up and running again with some help!

2. Re: Satellite C660-2EF - error on startup what is PXE-E61 media test failu
    Beginner
    progress, got v1.6 working and disabled option for PCI-LAN in cmos now it just says operating system not found

how on earth do i reinstall windows to my pc without a recovery disk and now theres absolutely nothing on my HDD?

downloaded win 7 home premium and put onto a cd, wont pick it up

modern computing is so lame give me xp and a desktop anyday

3. Re: Satellite C660-2EF - error on startup what is PXE-E61 media test failu
    Master
    >dear toshiba this is a silly way to package a laptop, no discs or recovery and i am without a manufacturers copy of windows 7 for my laptop, if you ask me its quite half baked by design and very troublesome.

First of all its user to user forum…
    Secondly: read user manual… there you could find a information about recovery disk… such disk should be created always at the first day of purchase using the preinstalled software called Toshiba Recovery Disk Creator.

>my 10 month old toshiba satellite c660-2ef has decided to un recognise the HDD by itself and after checking the fixings cables and a good visual check , i have gone as far as buying a new SSD to replace the old drive as its died, this didnt work either.

Not all SSD drives are compatible… it might be a BIOS<->SSD drive compatibility issue but its definitely NOT BIOS corruption issue as you suggested.
    Sometimes the SSD drive manufacturers provide an SSD drive firmware update…
    If such update does not fix the SSD drive, try another SSD drive…
    But generally speaking the SATA SSD drive or HDD should be supported.

>how on earth do i reinstall windows to my pc without a recovery disk and now theres absolutely nothing on my HDD?

You need a recovery disk… you didn’t create it in the past… so you have to order it here:
    http://backupmedia.toshiba.eu/landing.aspx