Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: NB200 Touchpad + 2 Buttons Failure

1. NB200 Touchpad + 2 Buttons Failure
    Beginner
    Model Name: NB200-136
    Part Number: PLL23E-00900QH2

I have tried reinstalling drivers and flashing the BIOS. Also formatted my net book, changed from Windows 7 to 8.
    No mouse or touch pad are showing in Device Manager. Perhaps I use the wrong set of drivers?

I have posted this problem in the Toshiba USA forum as well:
    http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Keyboards-Touchpads/NB200-Touchpad-2-Buttons-Failure/td-p/342532

Any suggestions?

2. Re: NB200 Touchpad + 2 Buttons Failure
    > No mouse or touch pad are showing in Device Manager. Perhaps I use the wrong set of drivers?

The touchpad device should be visible in device manager; either as unknown device or device marked with an yellow exclamation mark….this should be visible even if the driver would not be installed.

But if the device (touchpad ) is recognized by system, then either is disabled (in BIOS) or it malfunctions.
    Check the BIOS settings.
    There you could enable / disable touchpad (pointing device)

3. Re: NB200 Touchpad + 2 Buttons Failure
    Beginner
    I've updated the BIOS and reset it to the default settings, though I could not find how to enable or disable the touch pad.
    At the moment, the touch pad is showed in the Device Manager under Other Devices as an Unknown Device.

Am I facing a hardware problem? Or is there another option I'm missing here?

4. Re: NB200 Touchpad + 2 Buttons Failure
    >At the moment, the touch pad is showed in the Device Manager under Other Devices as an Unknown Device.

Well are 100% sure that this unknown device refers to the touchpad?
    In such case this means that driver is missing and you would need to install the touchpad driver

5. Re: NB200 Touchpad + 2 Buttons Failure
    Beginner
    I have already tried downloading new drivers, but at this point I'm willing to try anything.
    At the download drivers page, I must select a "Short Model No" which is: PLL2XE.
    How do I find out my short model number? Does it even matter, or all drivers for the NB200 are the same?

Thanks for the help

6. Re: NB200 Touchpad + 2 Buttons Failure
    Do you have some labels on the notebook’s bottom side?
    There you will find some numbers: serial, model, etc… :)
    But the VAP is not notebook model related… so you can choose the VAP released for other series

7. Re: NB200 Touchpad + 2 Buttons Failure
    Beginner
    I have tried re installing both drivers, without success.
    Any other suggestions? Or should I just give up?
    I will definitely think twice before I buy another Toshiba product, as it doesn't seem this problem is going to be solved.

8. Re: NB200 Touchpad + 2 Buttons Failure
    Enthusiast
    > I will definitely think twice before I buy another Toshiba product, as it doesn't seem this problem is going to be solved.

You are trying Win 8 on notebook which is not Win 8 supported?

I’m wondering if you would get all notebook features working using Win 8 system on old notebook from other brand which does not support Win8…
    I doubt…

9. Re: NB200 Touchpad + 2 Buttons Failure
    Beginner
    The problem has nothing to do with the operating system's version.
    It originally occurred while I was running Windows 7 Starter. Then, in order to try and fix it, I reformatted and switched to Windows 7 Premium.
    After all failed, I tried Windows 8. Everything is working perfectly, besides the touch pad and the two buttons under it.

Message was edited by: phulliez

10. Re: NB200 Touchpad + 2 Buttons Failure
    > The problem has nothing to do with the operating system's version.

Really? Did you have the problems using the notebook with the preinstalled system (Win XP)?
    Anyway... try the touchpad driver from teh touchpad manufacturer: http://www.synaptics.com/resources/drivers

11. Re: NB200 Touchpad + 2 Buttons Failure
    Beginner
    The machine came originally with Windows 7 Starter.
    I will try the Synaptics from the above link.
    Updates to come

Thanks once again for the assistance.

12. Re: NB200 Touchpad + 2 Buttons Failure
    Beginner
    Still no solution other than an external mouse.
    I have tried also reformatting and installing Windows XP, but without any change.
    I begin to think the problem is definitely a hardware one, and not software, although no physical damage was made due to my knowledge,

Any other ideas?

13. Re: NB200 Touchpad + 2 Buttons Failure
    Master
    Hi

There are no many options… in my personal opinion…

The point is that touchpad should work also even if an touchpad driver has not been installed.
    Of course, the Synaptics driver needs to be installed in order to have some additional options and settings to configure the touchpad but the basic of the touchpad don’t need an special driver.

In some cases the touchpad can be enabled and disabled in BIOS… so its worth to check the BIOS settings.
    If BIOS does not contain any touchpad ON/OFF settings then the touchpad is enabled by default.
    If the Windows has booted up, you could enable and disable the touchpad using FN + F9. But in most cases this is already enabled by default.

So finally if all these points have been checked and if the touchpad would not work, then an hardware problem is possible

14. Re: NB200 Touchpad + 2 Buttons Failure
    Beginner
    How do I address a hardware problem? I live in Israel, and could not find the local retailer.
    Is there a Toshiba service point in my area? Google did not show any relevant results to my searches.

Thanks once again
    Raphael

15. Re: NB200 Touchpad + 2 Buttons Failure
    Master
    >How do I address a hardware problem? I live in Israel, and could not find the local retailer.

Here you can find all Toshiba ASPs worldwide;
    http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/generic/ASP_SUPPORT/