Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Portege R830 - Usage of fingerprint in connection with Windows 8

1. Portege R830 - Usage of fingerprint in connection with Windows 8
    Beginner
    I'm having big problems with two Toshiba drivers on my Portege R830 machine in Win 8 Pro 64 bit upgrade.

I did a clean upgrade on a reformatted hard drive, then went to install the display drivers and that totally crashed my machine out.

When I put in my login credentials the machine would do a force reboot.
    Eventually I got into Safe mode (with Shift+restart from the login screen) and was able to fix that and remove the driver.

Then I installed the Fingerprint utility, just this week downloaded from Toshiba for my machine.
    It was even marked as "new".
    That actually worked, in a fashion, but it caused my login user icons on the pre-login screen to show up as duplicates.

Took me ages to figure out it was the fingerprint utility and when I removed that the user login icons went back to normal.

So now the fingerprint reader is useless to me.
    Hoping for a fix soon.

2. Re: Portege R830 - Usage of fingerprint in connection with Windows 8
    > So now the fingerprint reader is useless to me.
    >Hoping for a fix soon

Take a look here:
    *Windows 8 Upgrade - Notes and Restrictions*
    http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB2A03EL0000R02.htm

_+Toshiba Fingerprint Reader Software+_

_Issue description:_
    Toshiba Fingerprint Software is not supported under Windows 8. Fingerprint registrations will be lost during the upgrade process.

*Note:*
    +Remember your Windows password. You will need to enter it after upgrading. If you have a fingerprint reader, fingerprint registrations will be lost during the upgrade process, i.e. logging in to Windows 8 will not be possible via fingerprint authentication anymore.+