Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite L300D - Damaged hard drive, no recovery media, no windows key

1. Satellite L300D - Damaged hard drive, no recovery media, no windows key
    Beginner
    I have a Satellite L300D-11V that I am looking at for someone that would not go any further than a blank screen after the windows logo on starting, and also when running startup repair it would only get to that same stage too. Holding 0 down whilst booting would not bring up recovery, only an option for Windows Vista.

Using some high end diagnostic software I have diagnosed that the hard drive has several physical faults which could well be the reason for this therefor the drive is best off being replaced. However, because of the faults I am unable to create any images of the drive via Acronis or similar.

Purchasing a new drive is no problem, however the person never made any recovery media so it appears I will have to purchase a recovery set from Toshiba.

There is no Windows key on the case anywhere either though.

If I were to purchase a recovery set from Toshiba, would it matter that I have no Windows key on the presumption that the recovery would provide an already activated installation of Vista for the laptop?

Thanks

2. Re: Satellite L300D - Damaged hard drive, no recovery media, no windows key
    > If I were to purchase a recovery set from Toshiba, would it matter that I have no Windows key on the presumption that the recovery would provide an already activated installation of Vista for the laptop?
    In this situation easiest way to fix all this is to exchange HDD, order original recovery disc from Toshiba and install recovery image designed for this notebook model.
    Recovery image must not be activated. After installation it will be activated automatically so you don’t need Microsoft product key for activation.

Original recovery disc can be ordered on https://backupmedia.toshiba.eu/landing.aspx

By the way: Win7 32bit works pretty well on this notebook model so maybe you should install own Win7 version. Of course if you do this you need legal product key.
    Anyway it has nothing to do with Microsoft sticker placed on Toshiba notebooks. This key cannot be used for activation anyway.

3. Re: Satellite L300D - Damaged hard drive, no recovery media, no windows key
    I agree with Terentno. Best and easiest way to have “factory settings” is to order original installations disc. It costs a bit but you will have original version that includes all necessary drivers, tools and utilities. This version must not be activated and you can install it 1000 times and every time it will be activated.