Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite A500 - message - Non genuine Windows 7

1. Satellite A500 - message - Non genuine Windows 7
    Beginner
    My laptop keeps coming up with an error message saying I don't have a genuine verion of Windows 7? My laptop originally came with XP and then I took up the Toshiba redemption offer for Windows 7, which I am now starting to regret?

Does anyone know how to resolve this - I only got a disc from Toshiba in the mail and now Windows is asking for me to register the product and all I got was a disc and no number to register?

2. Re: Non genuine Windows 7
    Master
    Can you please post exact notebook model and explain a bit this Toshiba offer?

Maybe Iím wrong but it is not known to me that Toshiba has offered Win7 upgrade for notebooks delivered with WXP operating system. If Iím remembering well offer was for Vista preinstalled notebooks only.

3. Re: Non genuine Windows 7
    Beginner
    I have a Satellite A500

4. Re: Non genuine Windows 7
    Beginner
    Sorry, just had a look and yes, the disc was for Windows Vista to upgrade to Windows 7

5. Re: Non genuine Windows 7
    Master
    Hi

In my opinion there is something wrong with the registry.
    I assume you had Vista installed and upgrade to Win 7 using the Toshiba upgrade disk.
    You did not install clean Win 7. Am I right?

Well, in such case you would need to use your recovery disk (Vista) which is already activated. And after that you would need to use the upgrade disk to install Win 7.

Otherwise you could also try to use the serial key from the bottom of the unit but as far as I know this belongs to Vista so donít think it will work.

6. Re: Non genuine Windows 7
    Akuma
    Do you have the original upgrade media? Do you see a CD Key in the box?

If yes, try entering that 25 digit key to activate Windows.