Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Satellite A100-999: Recovery process (without recovery DVD/CDs) ?

1. Satellite A100-999: Recovery process (without recovery DVD/CDs) ?
    Beginner
    Hi all,

here is my GOAL: I want to reinstall the original Windows Vista as it was when we bought that laptop.

My PROBLEM: we never succeeded to create that recovery DVDs (just after the purchase), always gave an error... today and to my surprise, I cannot find any recovery tool from the OS either...

1- At power off/on: I tried the "0" key (as read in internet) but did not do anything special..

2- I tried then from this options menu (after F8 at reboot): REPAIR YOUR COMPUTER
    Then (after choosing spanish language and logging as user) I tried to lo launch the WINDOWS COMPLETE RESTORE but it said that no CD/DVD found ....(no current issue with this CD/DVD player = working fine)

3- I tried then the other interesting option : HHD RECOVERY (More or less like this, as I have it in spanish version)...Just a pop-up opened (maybe about the recovery DVDs) but without any buttons to follow the process....

Trickier situation now, isn't it?

4- INFO:
    I could find the hidden partition and unhide it. It contains folder and files: a 'source' folder, 'boot.sdi' file if I remember well..and maybe more..
    => I copied them on a USB key and recorded as well on a new DVD (and the image.iso of them as well) and repeat the above points 2 and 3, but nothing changed...(the content of this DVD is read without any problem on another laptop)

=> QUESTIONS:
    - This folder and files (found in hidden partition) means that the recovery is still there?
    - Is there a special file.exe or process to follow in order to launch these files found?
    (my ultimate last chance: order that recovery CDs to Toshiba if still possible)

Thank you in advance
    S.

Message was edited by: shupachups

2. Re: A100-999: Recovery process (without recovery DVD/CDs) ?
    Beginner
    I understand now that these files (in hidden partition) are those used for showing this special menu (after clicking REPAIR MY COMPUTER) with WINDOWS COMPLETE RESTORE, HHD RECOVERY, ...

Is that right?

Then I suppose that I should have a RECOVERY folder somewhere..but I read in some posts that comment type :"the A100 series has not been equipped with the HDD recovery partition"

If not available then, I'm already then on this last-chance-step explained above? this means to order the recovery DVD on [https://backupmedia.toshiba.eu/landing.aspx|https://backupmedia.toshiba.eu/landing.aspx]

anyway, I'm waiting for some feedback from you guys...

3. Re: A100-999: Recovery process (without recovery DVD/CDs) ?
    > I understand now that these files (in hidden partition) are those used for showing this special menu (after clicking REPAIR MY COMPUTER) with WINDOWS COMPLETE RESTORE, HHD RECOVERY, ...

> Is that right?

No, the small hidden partition is created by Windows system and these are NOT Recovery disk files.
    The Toshiba Recovery disk files are placed (usually) on the D partition… this is not hidden.

> Then I suppose that I should have a RECOVERY folder somewhere..but I read in some posts that comment type :"the A100 series has not been equipped with the HDD recovery partition"

This might be right since the A100 is older series and the HDD recovery was not available in this time…
    As far as I know the A200 series and newer series were equipped with such Recovery option.

> if not available then, I'm already then on this last-chance-step explained above? this means to order the recovery DVD on https://backupmedia.toshiba.eu/landing.aspx

This is the link to the page where you could order a recovery disk for Toshiba EU notebook series but I’m not quite sure if you will be able to order such disk no due to the notebook age.

4. Re: A100-999: Recovery process (without recovery DVD/CDs) ?
    Beginner
    Thank you for your quick reply,

I supposed well that hidden files were NOT the Recovery disk files ...but I'm surprised that Toshiba Recovery disk files would be placed on the D partition and especially UNhidden as you wrote...

Anyway, they are not there (in D:) either (I will recheck in case of)

I previously tried the process of ordering such DVDs to have a idea about the price: 36euros..well that could be a solution.

I may try before a home made windows installation and will get the drivers from Toshiba website...I will manage in a way.

Thank you again