Welcome to the Toshiba Support Forum, created for customers and enthusiasts to share knowledge, solve problems and discuss technology. To join the discussion, please login or register.

Thread: Tecra S11-11P switch from HDD to SSD

1. Tecra S11-11P switch from HDD to SSD
    Beginner
    Hello,

i have a question regarding the Ampere usage of the HDD and SSD.
    MyvToshiba HDD uses 5V and 800mA. The SSD i want to use takes 5V and 1,6A. Thats double the Ampere used by the HDD.
    Will there be problems with the powersupply?

2. Re: Tecra S11-11P switch from HDD to SSD
    Master
    > Will there be problems with the powersupply?
    Why?
    In worst case the battery working time would be a little bit shorter due to higher SSD drive power consumption but there should not be a bigger issue…

3. Re: Tecra S11-11P switch from HDD to SSD
    Master
    Maybe stupid question now but what is the reason for HDD exchange?
    Better performance and faster access to the data, right?

Are you not happy with “standard” hardware configuration?

Tecra S11 is nice business machine designed for business activities so with standard hardware configuration it works OK. It’s not the “rocket” but with optimized OS and maybe upgraded RAM it works perfectly.

The same is with my Tecra A11. Of course you can do whatever you want but, in my opinion, such kind of upgrade is not necessary. Keep the money and do something else with it. ;)

4. Re: Tecra S11-11P switch from HDD to SSD
    Beginner
    I tried to work with the notebook while driving in the bus. It was not possible due to the 3D hdd protection. Streets in germany are just too bumpy. And yes boosting dataaccess is also a reason.

5. Re: Tecra S11-11P switch from HDD to SSD
    Master
    LOL :)
    The streets in Germany are much better than in other countries ;)

But this is not the point… the point is that you can disable or uninstall the 3D HDD protection.
    Its software based feature.

6. Re: Tecra S11-11P switch from HDD to SSD
    Beginner
    That is possible but then i would risk damaging my HDD. I think there is a reason why the programm reacted.

Well if you all agree that a shorter battery runtime is all i have to fear then i will mark this qustion as answered.

7. Re: Tecra S11-11P switch from HDD to SSD
    Master
    It would be interesting to know how the new SSD drive would work in your S11...
    Please post your experience after the upgrade has been finished.

8. Re: Tecra S11-11P switch from HDD to SSD
    Beginner
    Hello again.

It is done.I build in a new Samsung SSD 830 with 120GB.

Booting to Windows and being able to start working is indeed faster. I would say reduced to a half though i now have a fresh installed Windows instead of the 2 year old preinstalled before. I will watch how this will develop.
    Booting up from Standby is as fast as a fresh boot.
    Waking up from Sleepmode is as quick as opening the lid of the notebook takes.

Working in the bus actually works now, yeay!

Programms start faster but the generall workflow is not realy faster but because i often use the energysaving features the faster wake up times realy help.

One problem came up though but i do not know if it is related to the hardware change.
    Turning on the notebook while a external harddrive is attached via usb or e-sata, even when it has its own power supply it will not power up but the power led turn orange and blinks.
    The resulting error code is:

51h EVER5V voltage is under or equal to 4.5V when the computer is powered on.

I have no clue what EVER5V means nor do i know if that problem is due to the attached external harddrive and the SSD combination or if it is just the external harddrvie because i started using the external after i build in the SSD.